• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like to get a basic OC on my I5-4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Might be =( , but I would keep playing with it . Did you try pulling the other 2 sticks to see if it would help ?

Worse comes to worse you are welcome to ship it to me and I will test it for you .

i did not try taking ram out
if i leave everything on auto and do per clock at 44,42,40 it seems to work, bit i am not getting 4.4 well i can get 4.386 on one core a 2 core load will not hold 4.3, bit it has not crashed
I think there are some bios bugs, sometimes when switching profiles i have noticed load line calibration changes when it should not
here is what the boards voltage sensors show for stock:
What are the stock per core clocks on a 4790k? at a minimum i want those clocks cause if a i7 can handle that speed with hyperthreading there is no reason a i5 can not
here is the manual for my board: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Fatal1ty Z97 Killer.pdf (OC part is on page 67)

Attachments

• pn.png
    pn.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 350
If you tried before and it was ineffective, no reason to try again and loose your profiles.

You can export your profiles to usb gentlemen. ;)

This way you dont have to lose (they arent loose, like a moose, its lose like juice) your profiles. ;)

Last edited:
Is it possible to convert the .bin file to something readable i can post here (or link via pastebin)?

For all intents and purposes, No...(and why?).

Export your saved profile to usb through the bios... reflash. Import profile, load, save, reboot. Profit.

But if ypu already know the latest bios didnt do it...there isnt a point anyway. Just showing a way to save your profile was all. :)

in case there is some odd setting that is making the cpu require a silly amount of vcore for a low OC >1.26 does seem like too much for only 4.4Ghz

You can take screenshots and post them here... but there isnt a purpose as there isnt a setting in the bios that would make a .15V difference in vcore.

A reflash cant hurt.

I figured out what kept changing the LLC setting
Every time i change the CPU multiple the BIOS changes the CPU input voltage to 1.9 and turns LLC off
if i leave the voltages on auto it seems to give the cpu what ever it feels like 1.25-1.27 for 4.4Ghz and 1.32 for 4.5GHz
I kinda think the bios is too 'smart' for its own good

Looks like 4.4 goes stable at 1.273 (1.272 BSODed when i hit stop on adida64)
How should i go about the cache multiplier/voltage? same rules as core voltage?

Then how should i go about OCing it?
i noticed it if i left it on auto it syncs it with vcore and assigns it a high voltage, over 1.3v at 4.4Ghz, i have it at 3.7Ghz with manually assigned stock voltage

About Load Line calibration, the bios default is enabled, but when you change the multiple it automatically turns disables it, isn't LLC supposed to be used to help with a OC? maybe on it off and off is on?

On a side note check out this description

Attachments

• 180512121201.png
    180512121201.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 339
I wouldnt bother overclocking the cache. Id set it all to stock manually if it keeps changing it. ;)

Llc CAN be used for overclocking. It isnt needed. It prevents vdroop, a naturally occurring in spec function for intel cpus. Im not sure why that is happening, it disabling, but either update the bios to the latest and if its still happenimg, oh well, set it manually. :)

I am on the latest bios, the only thing they probably updated last time was some patchwork for meltdown/specter

to me it seems odd for it to be enabled by default but disabled for overclocking, makes me thing they have the labels swapped, is there a way to confirm LLC is on or off (without using a multi-meter on a smt chip that i do not want to short)
at stock cache goes up to i think 3.9, i used 3.7 as that is the lowest boost clock at stock

Is it normal for sensors to show a vcore about .025v higher than a override voltage?
180527202105.BMP.png
180527202116.BMP.png
180527202127.BMP.png
load temps are under 80C (77C package 65-75 per core; core 4 is a outlier with about 10C+ below others)
i am at 1.215 and getting close to stable with cache at 4.4 (passed 15min test; crashed during basic use)

If I OC only with the multi core enhancement feature voltages stay at stock but LLC is enabled

I restarted my attempt from scratch
I think 4.14 is stable with 1.132V (41 with 101 blk) (just tried to see what i can get with +100mv)
4.2 failed at 1.15, testing at 1.16 now (13 min so far)

Edit:
Also i do plan to delid, but i have not decided if want to use liquid metal or kryonaut tim
any idea how much better temps i should see with high grade tim and less adhesive on the ihs?
not sure if it is worth using liquid metal for what is likely a OC dud, but on the other had lower fan speed
4.242 @ 1.16 with 101 blk failed in under 10 min
edit:
4.2 @1.16v failed between 60 and 65 min

Last edited:
I was able to run 4.2 @1.16 for between 60 and 65 min but then after i could not even get my 4.14Ghz @1.138 even close to stable
it is like after the system got warm i could not even keep my OC stable without any load where it was stable for a entire hour
Would it be fair to blame the VRM?
I tested the system at stock for 45 min and the VRM heat sync was 50C with prime95 CPU temps stayed 70C or less (about the CPU same temps as i get with a OC)
heat sync: http://211.222.71.138//SWFUpload/resizedemo/saved/m__e349f223623fc91bf45fb5d9282cded822228__m.jpg
Board Product page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z97 Killer/

You got the right cooler for the job. Your CPU overclocks very well. I suggest you play with the multiplier and touch BCLK just a tad,, if its 100 use 110 or 115. This is a good setting, the higher you take it past 120 the more wattage. good luck

Back