• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like to get a basic OC on my I5-4690K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Might not see any difference @ idle or might . IDK load is what matters , that voltage looks high .
When you are stress testing its ok to go over 80deg , as when gaming it won't hit even close as high .

Redoing a mount takes little time and can give you peace of mind that it isn't the problem with the overclock .

could try raising the cache voltage some as well try it @ 1.2 @ 40x

Load at stock is 60C (all silent fan profile) and load with 4.5@ 1.299 is 80 to 82 (100% fan speed on cpu at 80C)
*My cpu has the stock paste under the IHS (i was considering liquid metal after finding out there is a tool to delid, but i read that it will slowly corrode the ihs)
i will give 1.2 cache a try

Load at stock is 60C (all silent fan profile) and load with 4.5@ 1.299 is 80 to 82 (100% fan speed on cpu at 80C)
*My cpu has the stock paste under the IHS (i was considering liquid metal after finding out there is a tool to delid, but i read that it will slowly corrode the ihs)
i will give 1.2 cache a try

Delidding can help some overclocks 80 doesn't really look that "high" to me . I have done it in the past but currently could not get a new CPU/system the same day if I killed this one with the Delid process .

If 4.5 is stable with those temps I would not really worry I have pushed high voltage for a long time with my haswell .

4.4 with 1.220/1.200 vcore and vcache at 1.200V will not even post, i can not even get my bios screen to load
no error code or anything it finally recovered after i power the board down at the PSU

That will not post
45x @ 1.3 cache at 39x 1.15 will get me in the os and let me run a stress test

That will not post
45x @ 1.3 cache at 39x 1.15 will get me in the os and let me run a stress test

Wow I can't belive how bad the Cache is on that DC . If you leave the voltage on auto can you push higher than x39 ?

CPU input voltage can be pushed upto 2.1v but I dont find it really helps just one of the steps I always do when trying over 4.8 .

I do have all 4 ram slots in use with 4gb 1.5v G.skill ripjaws ddr3 1600 xmp 1.2 if that matter, i recall it being said that using all ram slots could inhibit a OC back when i had a phenom II 965

not fully tested i it is good for at least 5min stress test i think

- - - Updated - - -

I have tied a few of the stock OC profiles every stock profile is, they all use the same cache settings
if 1.15 cache voltage is unstable and 1.2 is useless should i lower the cache voltage?
is there a way i can test the 4.5 CPU without testing the cache? can i just run cache completely auto?

not fully tested i it is good for at least 5min stress test i think

- - - Updated - - -

I have tied a few of the stock OC profiles every stock profile is, they all use the same cache settings
if 1.15 cache voltage is unstable and 1.2 is useless should i lower the cache voltage?
is there a way i can test the 4.5 CPU without testing the cache? can i just run cache completely auto?

Then test it =)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

Might give you some ideas on voltages .

Pull 2 sticks of ram for now and see if it helps the oc

after a 30min test with 4.4Ghz at about 1.28V and 1.15v x39 cache it did not crash, i guess the cache is probably stable then
Either LLC magically changed itself on me (i swear it set tot a random value when you load a profile)
gonna give 1.295 @ 4.5Ghz a try
How should i be measuring the cpu temp for the purpose of "safe temperature"
  • package temp = cpu temp
  • Sum of core temps / number of cores = cpu temp
  • (Sum of core temps + package temp) / (number of cores+1) = cpu temp
  • (Sum of core temps / number of cores + package temp) / 2 = cpu temp
  • highest core temp = cpu temp

Liquid metal will not corrode your IHS. It will corrode cooler bases made of aluminum if you use it on top of the IHS.

I did read that is bad for aluminum like Lv3 caterpie vs lv 100 moltres levels of bad *hopefully nobody actually has to look up how bad that is*
i do not think liquid metal is worth using anywhere but under the IHS, is there a reason we can not use actual solder?

i put the cache multipler at 35 and the core at 44 and the input at 1.8 with the vcore at 1.2 and it booted, it crashed at idle but it actually booted
but i forced the cache voltage to 1.05, just above what the sensor showed as stock
4.4 is not even close to stable at 1.25 vcore, as in no need to start a stress test
i guess this is a below average chip?

Back