• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on raid and partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I have considered buying a raid card for my new 8RDA+, so I can set up raid 0.

I would be running 1- 60 gig ata133 7200 drive and 1 - 60 gig ata100 7200 drive. If I partition 1 drive with a small portion of say 10 gigs will it reduce the size of the other drive to be seen as only 50 gigs? If so am I better to have a partition on 10 on each drive, and if so is this seen as a 20 gig partition?

Cisco KId

Once configured for RAID 0 both disks will be seen as one logical disk so you would only need to make one 20GB partition if you wanted.

Partitioning before configuring will do no good, the RAID BIOS will override it and blow the partition table out. If by chance it didn't, I'd say you would only successfully make some unusable space that would seem to have "disappeared".

Jon said:
Once configured for RAID 0 both disks will be seen as one logical disk so you would only need to make one 20GB partition if you wanted.

Partitioning before configuring will do no good, the RAID BIOS will override it and blow the partition table out. If by chance it didn't, I'd say you would only successfully make some unusable space that would seem to have "disappeared".

Thanlks that is good to know so create partition following setting up raid. NOw I am in search for a cheap raid card

Cisco KId

Back