• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unix Box ADVICE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin_Feliac

Registered
Where can i find good prices on a unix box. I know that i can run Linux on any machine nowadays that i would like, but I still would like to have a unix box. Any advice?

There were a bunch of old Sun systems on ebay a while ago, there probably still are some.

As far as buying a new Unix box, I suppose you could get one from Sun, but thats probably not the best deal.

The cheapest way to get a Unix box would be to download and install (Free|Open|Net)BSD, which are all true unices.

Yep. For what its worth, FreeBSD is quite nice. There are certainly some advantages to running a BSD server, but for the desktop I have to give it a thumbs down. While it has good support it isn't as good as Linux's.

BSD

Those old emachines with celerons/P3's may be about the crappiest computers when running windows, but with free or open BSD they're great.

I agree. There is a good amount of following for FreeBSD, which means lots of support. They have great documentation and an excellent ports tree.

It's available for i386, so you can run it on your Intel or AMD desktops, they don't require a special server. Upgrades for i386 are alot cheaper to find than upgrades for a Sun box. :cool:

http://www.freebsd.org/

Back