• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer, Hanging after 2 - 5 minutes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richardjohn31

Registered
My brother just got his AMD 2400, Abit KD7 KT400.

I've installed WIN98SE, but it keeps crashin after 2 - 5 minutes, I don't have a clue whats causing it, any ideas? I've set it to run at a AMD 1800+ speed in bios, seems to be ok at the moment, could it be the PSU? it's a cheap 350W (UK)

Could it be heat related? Did you guys install the processor and HSF yourselves? If so, you probably (odds are good) used too much thermal grease. Clean it all off with rubbing alcohol, and apply VERY thin layers, like totally see-through layers.

Anyway, before you do that, tell us what the temps are.

It could be the PSU.Have you checked the voltages at all.Pay attention to the 5v line if it is below 4.8 you can easly experence big problems.

Well, it freezes with hardly any load such as opening to Internet explorers at the same time, is the common with a bad psu?

Try doing something like putting a CD in the CDrom drive - if your PSU is on its way out, then that'll probably crash the computer when the CD Drive spins up - if it manages to spin up without crashing, then it might not be the PSU....

My brother has been to a few places and they are saying it could be the memory, I have 1GB of DDR 2700 it was cheapish memory, could it be the problem?

memory could be the problem. You can get into windows and your computer freezes or gives you blue screen or do you just get blank hanging screen?

Run cpu speed, Vcore, everything at default when installing windows. Very important.

Why not install XP?

I don't think everything was set to default when I installed windows. How do I reset everything to deafult?

I get no error, it just freezes.

When I set the CPU lower, like 1500+ it seems more stable than 2400+

Download memtest86 (check the stickies in general hardware and memory) and test your ram. That could easily be a memory problem.

richardjohn31 said:
I don't think everything was set to default when I installed windows. How do I reset everything to deafult?

I get no error, it just freezes.

When I set the CPU lower, like 1500+ it seems more stable than 2400+

Go into bios. There should be an option Restore or Reset to Default or something like that.

Well, you dont need new memories if your old memory works fine.

But Corsair XMS should help overclocking

Well, people are saying that is most likely the memory and I don't know if it will be overclocked because my brother payed for it.

I'm still trying to get the memory to run at 133mhz if I can to see if it helps.

If you have any cards in the PCI slots you could try switching them around. I have had many a lockup due to cards not liking to share Irq's with another device.

Al

I only have 1 card, PCI GFX card, problem is that it's only and very large and doesn't fit in many of the slots because of the transisters an stuff. I have an agp card but it doesn't seem to work, it might be because of my bios settings or it could be broken. How would I know if it is an IRQ problem?-

Back