• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build is not going well...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How many fans are in that case? The Meshify C should have good airflow. Something is wrong if you're 65c in the BIOS. Can you verify that the fan is spinning on the heatsink? Can you take a look at the BIOS fan curves? You might need to re-apply the thermal paste. The stock cooler I believe should have some pre-applied, but you might need to replace it.

The HD runs constantly until it crashes or just freezes at idle in windows.

I can't install video drivers or Realtek Audio drivers.

Gigabyte gave me 431.36. Nvidia gave me 431.60. Both give the same "Nvidia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows."

I am using Windows 10 pro. Windows is at "Downloading Updates 0%" and a list of updates it has already downloaded and some it wants to download. It doesn't seem to be making any progress and I have no "update" button.

The case is open and I have 1 front instake case fan at the moment, pointed at the CPU. All fans spin. I'll try reseating the stock cooler with new paste. I have the PC open and a ceiling fan on in the room, it seems to be getting good air.

I still get the clock_watchdog_timeout BSOD regularly.

Last edited:
You have a lot going on and I think you need to slow it down and keep track of everything you have done to better isolate the problem.
+ Memtest went fine -> probably not memory
+ Issues still linger even when SSD is switched to HDD -> probably not SSD
- CPU bios temp is 65c - that's abnormal, could be one of two things: a) motherboard sensor is bad - pretty common, or b) CPU really runs too hot. Download RealTemp or Coretemp or HWMonitor in your OS and monitor the temperatures when idle. If it's >60c on the individual cores, then you have an overheating problem. If that's the case, I would start by re-seating the cooler (with new paste) and monitor the temperatures again. If they're still high, then either there's something wrong with the CPU cooler, or with the CPU itself, or with the motherboard.
- GPU not identified: Could be that the GPU is bad, could be that the motherboard (or this specific pci-e slot) is bad. Easiest solution is take GPU, plug into a different computer, and test it with the proper drivers (DDU -> remove drivers -> plug GPU -> install new drivers -> do simple gaming tests/benchmarks).

Do those things step by step, it's important to get everything to function right in those type of problems. It's not easy but that's the way to do it.

I just reseated the cooler and I'm at 52C, fluctuating from 50-52 with no load, in windows. It still freezes/locks up. The HD is finally quiet now though :) (when its locked up)

20 mins or so...still just frozen so Ill power down.

Will benchmarks help if I cant even run idle?

Last edited:
I installed the 2060 super in my old rig. It installed fine and has no issues.

I think this leaves MB or processor as the culprit.

Last edited:
I installed the 2060 super in my old rig. It installed fine and has no issues.

I think this leaves MB or processor as the culprit.

You've done a great job troubleshooting. Now to start the RMA process to get a working rig.

You bought this at a brick and mortar, right (just remembering that debacle from earlier, lol)?

I'd return the motherboard to the store first at this point and swap it out with another. If that doesn't work, the CPU is next.

No, these are both from Newegg.

Only the HD and some peripherals were from a local store.

I think you answer is still valid though.

This is the 6th computer I have built in my lifetime. I have never had this many issues. In fact, I have never really had any issues in any build before, aside from self inflicted pain of home made water cooling and case modding.

My kids were skeptical to begin with, I sure hate for them to "told me so". I think my son's willpower to be right has screwed this build. The force is strong in that one. :shrug:

This is the 6th computer I have built in my lifetime. I have never had this many issues. In fact, I have never really had any issues in any build before, aside from self inflicted pain of home made water cooling and case modding.

My kids were skeptical to begin with, I sure hate for them to "told me so". I think my son's willpower to be right has screwed this build. The force is strong in that one. :shrug:

You would have been battle hardened if you were a DFI customer. I went through several DFI SLI-DRs and Experts before finding the magic board. Those boards were all feast or famine, champ or chump, super-overclocker or a broken BSOD inducing dud. Don't feel too bad, with my username I was rolling the dice as well. :)

Long story short, I tried this all again with a fresh install and an MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi and it has the same problem. Works for a while then freezes and crashes.

I turned all fans to Max just to be sure it's not heat. It sits idle around 44 and had a max of 66.

Last edited:
It doesn't stay alive long enough to install any drivers. It either locks up, frozen or reboots. No BSOD thus far.

I did flash the bios to the newest version but that's about all I can do.

In hopes of eliminating myself from the equation, this is what I did, in order:

Unplugged the already installed power supply from the wall and grounded myself while handling components.
Installed the CPU, dotted it with a pea sized amount of thermal compound.
Installed the stock CPU cooler and fan, connecting the Fan power to the CPUFAN1 mobo.
Installed the ram in A2 and B2 as specified by the MB.
I secured the MB to the case using preexisting standoffs and 9 screws.
I plugged in the CPU Power 8+4.
I plugged in the ATX Power.
I connected the case audio to the mobo.
I connected the case power, lights, and switches to the mobo.
I connected the case fan to the SYS_FAN1 mobo
I seated the graphics card in the PCI1 slot.
I connected the graphics card power 8+6.
I removed all the removable stickers from the mobo (as intended by the manufacturer).
I connected the SSD to power and SATA.
I connected the DVD to power and SATA.
I inserted the Windows DVD into the DVD player.
I connected the PS to the wall power.

I powered on for the first time.
Bios detected "this is the first time" and opened bios without any prompt from me.
I set the boot sequence to boot from DVD - no other changes - restart.
Booted to windows and installed windows 10 pro without issue.

Restarted into Windows for the first time.
Ran idol for about 5 minutes (if that) and froze.
Left it on for an hour, frozen, hopeful for a BSOD.
Hard reset.
Went into BIOS and turned all fans to max.
Restarted and loaded windows.
Hard reset back to windows.
Installed Coretemp and reported temps until frozen again.
Downloaded updated BIOS and all drivers from another PC.
Restarted into BIOS
Updated BIOS.

Restart/Into Windows/Freeze - over and over...
I tried to load the chipset drivers once but it wouldn't stay alive long enough.

Here is a picture of the setup so you can inspect my work as well.

20190813_083820.jpg

Are you using the same windows DVD ? Could it be corrupted. Maybe try downloading installation media to a USB drive, or try a different OS like linux. It just seems strange that you would be stable throughout the whole install off a DVD (time consuming) and then crash immediately when you open Windows.

In hopes of eliminating myself from the equation, this is what I did, in order:

Unplugged the already installed power supply from the wall and grounded myself while handling components.
Installed the CPU, dotted it with a pea sized amount of thermal compound.
Installed the stock CPU cooler and fan, connecting the Fan power to the CPUFAN1 mobo.
Installed the ram in A2 and B2 as specified by the MB.
I secured the MB to the case using preexisting standoffs and 9 screws.
I plugged in the CPU Power 8+4.
I plugged in the ATX Power.
I connected the case audio to the mobo.
I connected the case power, lights, and switches to the mobo.
I connected the case fan to the SYS_FAN1 mobo
I seated the graphics card in the PCI1 slot.
I connected the graphics card power 8+6.
I removed all the removable stickers from the mobo (as intended by the manufacturer).
I connected the SSD to power and SATA.
I connected the DVD to power and SATA.
I inserted the Windows DVD into the DVD player.
I connected the PS to the wall power.

I powered on for the first time.
Bios detected "this is the first time" and opened bios without any prompt from me.
I set the boot sequence to boot from DVD - no other changes - restart.
Booted to windows and installed windows 10 pro without issue.

Restarted into Windows for the first time.
Hard reset.
Went into BIOS and turned all fans to max.
Restarted and loaded windows.
Hard reset back to windows.
Installed Coretemp and reported temps until frozen again.
Downloaded updated BIOS and all drivers from another PC.
Restarted into BIOS
Updated BIOS.

Restart/Into Windows/Freeze - over and over...
I tried to load the chipset drivers once but it wouldn't stay alive long enough.

Here is a picture of the setup so you can inspect my work as well.

View attachment 206919
Not a huge deal, but I see one intake and no exhaust on there? You'll want more airflow in that case... at least another intake and exhaust fan. That isn't the issue here, but... that will help keep system temps lower.

Cable routing could be better on that intake fan and the front panel cord... use the holes and route it in back. You may need to rotate the fan so where the cord sticks out is closest to the back. ;)

I'd also try installing windows from the media creation/USB as well and see if that resolves the issue.

Are you using the same windows DVD ? Could it be corrupted. Maybe try downloading installation media to a USB drive, or try a different OS like linux. It just seems strange that you would be stable throughout the whole install off a DVD (time consuming) and then crash immediately when you open Windows.

Yes, the same install DVD.

I have been thinking the same thing that it makes no sense why it installs so easily but wont run after. I will try linux.

Back