• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build is not going well...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm paraphrasing... Your baby is ugly, clean that *%$ up!

Yes, of course :) This is just trying to get it to even work. It's in a room with a ceiling fan, its got the best airflow of its life right now but crappy cpu cooler. I have 140's on their way for the case before I close it.

/me puts on his rusty dusty Unix hat....

Close enough... :)

I went with installing Linux vs. new windows install. It sounded like more fun. I booted to a USB instance and am running a round of prime 95.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to get my hopes up and say this was a winner. I am still installing all the drivers but it wasn't this stable before.

All drivers installed. Prime for 20 minutes with CPU temp range 48 idle 57 max.

Gonna turn on XPS (I mean XMP).

Last edited:
I couldn't help myself.... I closed the case with this terrible cooling design I have going and ran Prim95 blend. 2 hours later, 60C Max on the CPU.

This build is quieter than my previous build even with the single Fractal Design X2 GP-12 case fan (intake only, no exhause) and the stock cpu cooler running at 60C. I will install 2 Noctua 140's tomorrow and I'll figure out what air cpu cooler I want to go with long term.

Thanks for all the help getting this going!

The PCH fan doesn't seem to spin, ever. Might be a gimmick or maybe I need to figure that out...

Last edited:
Glad you got it figured out. Is there any way to return one of the motherboards?

Unless HWMonitor has released and update, it's not accurate for Ryzen CPUs. Try HWiNFO64 or RyzenMaster for temps. I agree the wraith stealth cooler is not great, and I'm also doubting those temps. You'll definitely want a better cooler if you plan to overclock.

I could return the MSI motherboard but it is the one I prefer to keep. I have had buyers remorse about the Asrock since before it arrived. I am not sure if its worse that I lied to myself or that I believed my own lies.... That is a question for a psychiatrist though I think.

I will probably sell the Asrock on ebay and eat the loss. I might have a friend who would use it also. If he does, I'll just give it to him.

I'll check HWiNFO64 when I return to my precious.

I'm also doubting those temps.

You were wise to doubt my expert results. :) With HWiNFO64 I get 47.3C to 97.1C. This is with the case open again.

I couldn't find a safe max temp I should expect for this processor. I can find that AMD removed the max temp and that others are hitting 100.

As I said, these CPUs should throttle at 95C. AMD stopped listing max temps for these. Previous fans were 91C. Aida64 reports 95c and I believe coretemp shows 95C TJmax as well.

Last edited:
Is that a rule of thumb or is it based on some advice specific to the R5 3600?

I installed the new case fans so I need to play with the curves.... Dare I say playing with curves is my favorite? :clap:

Well, that's better than "I told you so" which, much to your credit, you did.
Eh, it could have been bad ram, bad ssd, bad cpu, bad gpu, bad mobo, could have been anything really. That's why throughout my posts here I tried to point you what things you can rule out. I'm just glad things are working out for you now.

Back