• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build is not going well...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenSmoke

I am struggling... I have windows installed but the computer seems laggy and bogs down to the point of the screen freezing eternally. The internet is always terrible on this PC also (others on same network are fine).

• I updated my BIOS (P1.30)
  • Updated as many drivers as I could from mfg websites *see below
  • CPU sits around 50C, idle, I haven't tried to do anything with it since it keeps freezing
  • I have tried turning on and off the wifi vs. hardline but doesnt seem to make a difference
*When I try and install the "Allin1 v19.10.16_19H1_WHQL" (from Asrock) driver it tells me Setup has detected an incompatible build and wont install. This happens if I install from the CD or the downloaded version, so it has never taken.

I have 3 "Other devices" that are PCI Device and one that is PCI EnCryption/Decryption Controller.

I suspect this is probably my problem but I cant figure out how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

I have been working on this all day and its been one things after another.

This is the build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: stock cooler for the moment
Motherboard: ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 WIFI ax ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what OS? I have a socket 1155 Asrock board and W 8.1, and EVERY driver is a Beta. Between that, and the abortion of an OS I can't get half of anything to work right and it likes to BSOD when installing most programs. Going with W7 on it next month.

The first thing to do is to remove all devices not needed to actually run the computer. You need your CPU, RAM and a video card. Run it then and see if the problem goes away.

Did you install the OS from scratch or did you try to reuse the OS from another build? Boot only with your OS drive and not the other drive.

Last edited:
Windows 10, fully updated.

I have the Hard Drive, Mouse, Keyboard, Video Card, CPU, RAM. That's it. I used a DVDR but its unplugged.

Are you suggestion I need to remove my mouse and keyboard? I think the HD is essential?

I set the Frequency to 3600 but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I notice the Infinity Fabric only goes to 3000. Shouldn't it be 3600 also though? It is set to auto currently.

Windows 10, fully updated.

I have the Hard Drive, Mouse, Keyboard, Video Card, CPU, RAM. That's it. I used a DVDR but its unplugged.

Are you suggestion I need to remove my mouse and keyboard? I think the HD is essential?

No no. Mouse and keyboard are essential.

I did a fresh install of the OS (originally). It is booting from the 1 and only SSD with the fresh install.

I notice if I use IE, it's networks performance is fine though the computer will still slow down and eventually lock up still. Chrome was like 1 in 10 web pages would load, almost like it was throttled. I uninstalled Chrome for the moment.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a bad SSD or RAM, but who knows. You need to start ruling things out.
If you have an onboard card, try that one without the NVIDIA one.
Run Memtest first. You don't need Windows for it.
See if you have a spare HDD, try to format it and install Win10, of course remove your SSD first. try to find a different version of Win10 to install. On my Z370 I initially installed an older version of Win10 and the network driver didn't function properly, on a newer Win10 it worked fine.
If after all those things stuff still doesn't work, then probably bad mobo or bad cpu, but hard to tell

I am so confused.... :shrug:

I run a mem test, as suggested. I went with the default 4 passes on 1 CPU and it had 0 errors. I am leery about it being SSD and think I have some more things to try with the graphics drivers before I try to mess with that.

The bulk to the problem went away when I removed Chrome before my last post! I find Windows to be much improved but many apps still won't run and the general laggyness still seems to come and go, just much less often.

When I try to run "GeForce Experience" (which is necessary to get the free Wolfenstein), it won't run. It eventually pukes a 0x0003 error so I am focusing on the video card. I am going to try reloading drivers (step 2 from the link above, already did step 1 but no luck). Smite (a game) also wont run. No error, it throws the splash screen but then never goes further. I still have those unknown devices which I think are also involved in this somehow.

I am also suspect of my bios settings. When I leave it on auto it chooses a really low frequency for the RAM. I manually set it to 3600 and the infinity fabric to 1800. It is in the back of my mind that I am maybe unstable with the auto.

Last edited:
I am so confused.... :shrug:

I run a mem test, as suggested. I went with the default 4 passes on 1 CPU and it had 0 errors. I am leery about it being SSD and think I have some more things to try with the graphics drivers before I try to mess with that.

The bulk to the problem went away when I removed Chrome before my last post! I find Windows to be much improved but many apps still won't run and the general laggyness still seems to come and go, just much less often.

When I try to run "GeForce Experience" (which is necessary to get the free Wolfenstein), it won't run. It eventually pukes a 0x0003 error so I am focusing on the video card. I am going to try reloading drivers (step 2 from the link above, already did step 1 but no luck). Smite (a game) also wont run. No error, it throws the splash screen but then never goes further. I still have those unknown devices which I think are also involved in this somehow.

I am also suspect of my bios settings. When I leave it on auto it chooses a really low frequency for the RAM. I manually set it to 3600 and the infinity fabric to 1800. It is in the back of my mind that I am maybe unstable with the auto.
If you think it's the GPU, then plug your monitor into the onboard card. That's the easiest way of ruling out a bad GPU. The alternative is to diagnose the possible problem directly by monitoring the card using things like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner, but those type of problems are not always so apparent.
The BIOS will only speed up the memory if you enable XMP, it shouldn't run on 3600 automatically.

Updated as many drivers as I could from mfg websites *see below
CPU sits around 50C, idle, I haven't tried to do anything with it since it keeps freezing
I have tried turning on and off the wifi vs. hardline but doesnt seem to make a difference

*When I try and install the "Allin1 v19.10.16_19H1_WHQL" (from Asrock) driver it tells me Setup has detected an incompatible build and wont install. This happens if I install from the CD or the downloaded version, so it has never taken.

I have 3 "Other devices" that are PCI Device and one that is PCI EnCryption/Decryption Controller.

Google tells me the "AllIn1 v19" is your chipset driver, is that correct? If so that needs to be sorted first & is likely why you still have unknown devices. Win10 can be a real pain because I've seen it install it's own driver before it let's you install the correct driver. Try disabling Windows driver updates for now.

50C idle seems a little high. What temps are you seeing under load?

How are your load temperatures? Idle temperature doesn't tell us much.

You can try the x570 chipset driver from AMD instead of the asrock one: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

If that doesn't work I would re-install windows.

When people suggest you to remove extra devices, I think they are responding to this part of your post, "I have 3 "Other devices" that are PCI Device and one that is PCI EnCryption/Decryption Controller." Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? Is that what is listed in device manager?

If you think it's the GPU, then plug your monitor into the onboard card. That's the easiest way of ruling out a bad GPU. The alternative is to diagnose the possible problem directly by monitoring the card using things like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner, but those type of problems are not always so apparent.
The BIOS will only speed up the memory if you enable XMP, it shouldn't run on 3600 automatically.

There is no output from the onboard plug. I don't think my Ryzen 5 3600 has onboard graphics?

I will try enabling XMP and setting everything to auto after I reinstall the video drivers.

How are your load temperatures? Idle temperature doesn't tell us much.

You can try the x570 chipset driver from AMD instead of the asrock one: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

If that doesn't work I would re-install windows.

When people suggest you to remove extra devices, I think they are responding to this part of your post, "I have 3 "Other devices" that are PCI Device and one that is PCI EnCryption/Decryption Controller." Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? Is that what is listed in device manager?

Yes, these WERE in device manager. Running the chipset drives you provided above removed all but one. A PCI Device remains with an '!'.

I removed my Nvidia drivers and am going to reinstall them now.

I am optimistic but maybe it's the coffee talkin'. :beer:

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

... What temps are you seeing under load?

I haven't gotten it under load. It wont run anything. I added a case fan so it shouldn't be heat related.

I have reinstalled the Video drivers and have no more !'s in Device Manager.

So far so good.

The Ryzen CPU he is using does not not have an IGP. It's not a "G" chip. He would have to use another add in video card to test that issue. At this point, I'm thinking it's the SSD. Greensmoke, do you have another drive, even a spinner, you can swap in and reinstall Windows?

Last edited:
When I install Chrome, it still seems like it has a bad internet connection, while the same page will load right up in IE.

Chrome is "Establishing secure connection..." forever and 50/50 of it working.

The Ryzen CPU he is using does not not have an IGP. It's not a "G" chip. He would have to use another add in video card to test that issue. At this point, I'm thinking it's the SSD. Greensmoke, do you have another drive, even a spinner, you can swap in and reinstall Windows?

I do. I will try this next if I cant get it working as is. The drivers are all right now for the first time.

What nvidia driver version did you install & what version are you running after reboot?

I won't run "GeForce Experience", sorry no help there.

Is the Samsung 840 Evo an older drive carried over from another build or was it new when you started this build? I'm asking because it has been replaced by the 860 Evo in Samsung's current lineup.

I would test the drive by running CrystaldiskIfo or better yet, Samsung's own diagnostic software. If you have a usb cradle you can do that with another computer if the one you are using is too unstable to work with.

Back