• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxijet, Hydor, or something else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
I'm thinking of getting either a Maxijet 1200 or a Hydor L20. The Hydor would cost me $35, and the Maxijet $20. I wasn't thinking of spending more than $20 on a pump, but I've heard some bad things about the Maxijet. Recommendations, anyone?

JFettig loves his maxi 1200... he runs it inline. I do believe it will push more water than the Hydor L20.

I love my MaxiJet, it's quiet, flows well, and doesn't generate much heat.. plus, it's affordable! :)

I guess I'll go with the Maxijet then. Would it be possible for it to cool a hard drive along with the CPU paralell?

I use a hydor L20...only cuz I got it real cheap..and it works just fine with my 3/8" cpu WB, bay res, and 9700 WB.

Dunno why youd want to watercool a harddrive, but unless its really restrictive I think it will be just fine.

i don't get one thing about the maxijet though..
the 900 model @ 230gph only uses 8.5 watts
while the 1200 @ 295gph uses 20 watts
only 65gph extra, but more then double the watts.. ??
i ordered the 900 model for that reason...

Korndog said:
i don't get one thing about the maxijet though..
the 900 model @ 230gph only uses 8.5 watts
while the 1200 @ 295gph uses 20 watts
only 65gph extra, but more then double the watts.. ??
I'm no expert, but GPH ain't gonna do you much good without pressure. From the specs it seems the 1200 developes 50% more head pressure than the 900.

Is it worth the extra heat? From what I've read yes because otherwise you'll get heat build up on the cpu from lack of good flow. I'm new to this, but this what the facts seem to lean toward.

BTW I have a Danner Pondmaster 250 and for $30 it's quiet and powerful. 24 watts though.

that is a good point, but my waterblock restricts waterflow anyways if my pump is over 200gph anyways. I see almost no difference between a 370gph and a 230gph pump on my setup.
The only reason i don't like extra heat is because i feel that the pump will not last as long. i'm sure my heatercore can take care of any heat its incounted with.

If the pump couldn't deal with the extra they wouldn't make them and mass distribute them. But if it's simple as you don't want extra heat then I would go with one that produces less heat.

Korndog said:
that is a good point, but my waterblock restricts waterflow anyways if my pump is over 200gph anyways. I see almost no difference between a 370gph and a 230gph pump on my setup.

Not true. Your WB does not "know" what gph rating your pump has. The pump's pressure (head) is what really determines the flowrate in a watercooling system.

I would go with the Danner Mag 2 myself. :)

sorry, i didn't mean to say it like that
the channels in my water block are so small that it restricts the water flow. Even the intake fittings leak if no barbs are installed from the back pressure. As much as i hate that about my waterblock, it preforms better then one with larger channels so i don't mind.
Realibity wise, what would u pick?
Maxijet 900 or DannerMag 2 or hydro L20?
money/heat/ect is not an issue to me, i want realibity, thats all.

If money/heat is not an issue, then you should get eheim 1250.

I myself have a maxijet 1200. Cheap, works great, cant complain. The reliability issues with maxijet can be fixed through a simple, inexpensive step. (check forum) And will last just as long if taken care of. Easy to use 1/2 tubing with mj1200 also.

Only MINOR problem I have with the mj1200 is that it vibrates a little (I fixed it by putting a soft rubber eraser underneath it) and to my surprise, does generate some heat. But I'm running inline so no biggie.

I also had doubts, and thought of going with eheim, but why spend TRIPLE the money for a pump of similar performance? Mind you, maxijets are also a LOT smaller than eheim, for those concerned with space.

Good luck.

i was planning on going with eheim in the first place, but i found maxijet to have little/no complains compared to my old pump, the via aqua 1300.
simple inexpensive step? impeller mod??? i'll seach the forum...
Thanks for all your input guys!!!

the mod i was talking about is just sealing the impeller "casing" I suppose... its the part that's suppose to be able to rotate. Some people had problems with leaking.. you just need to seal it with some goop, epoxy, or whatever you'd like.. and voila.

you'll know what im talking about if you get one...

im not sure where you heard bad things about the maxijett, but ive had mine runnig for almost 3 years 24/7 with out a problem. and mine was like 21 shipped...

Back