• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7D - Potenial PSU failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poopygood

Okay guys/gals, Just got home and found my main folding rig, my duallie was locked up. Upon restart, it locked again within 5 minutes. My first guess is my PSU is failing....

Stats:
MSI K7D - L (BIOS 1.6)
dual xp1700 @ 2070 mhz @ 1.7 volts
512 mb stick of samsung unbuffered pc2700
antec PP412X PSU (400 watts)
- 2 hdds, 2 optical drives, 4 80mm fans, 2 92mm fans, plus 1 in the psu, and one on the NB.

Temps are 43/46C running F@H on both CPU's, I've been running 100% load, at those specs for over 3 months non-stop, 24/7, 7 days a week, with zero problems.
Again, I have not changed anything.

Here is a couple of screen shots of why I think it may be the PSU, please let me know if your MSI K7D shows this vcore flux as well.

vdip.JPG

this pic shows a huge dip in the vcore, which is what I think might have caused the locks...

vflux.JPG

this pic shows a constant "fluxing" of the vcore.

Could this be a PSU that is failing to provide the necessary power? The Antec PSU is about 2 years old, and has been used pretty much every day since I bought it new, with heavy loads for the last 6 months.

As you can see in the pics, my 5v and 12v rails are very sold, no variations in their graph. Only see the variation in the vcore, is this common with the MSI? Weak power regulation?

Thanks in advance!

Looks more like the power regulator to me.

The 3.3V line looks a tad bit shaky though and that might explain the same dips in the VDIMM voltage at relatively the same point.

It might not hurt to get another PSU, possibly a bit more beefy one (I recommend a 520W TTGI from Directron...excellent for the money) to see if it helps in stabilizing that line. If that doesn't do it, has to be the regulator on the board.

This is very similar behavior to what I was seeing w/ my k7D that I RMA'ed (see the odd core voltage reading thread). The board they returned to me (and is working now) still has some fluctuations similar to the ones you are seeing, but they aren't quite that big. Good luck finding the problem.

thanks,

Board has been running about 10 hours straight F@H again no more locks....

Jon: that was actually the PSU i was looking at. :)

Hi,
poppygood - I believe Jon was pointing out that
the 1.6/7/8 volts to the processor is derived from the
5 Volt line - and so any fluctuations in the line you see
(when not mirrored in the 5 Volt line) are probably the
on-board voltage control.
Or the Grogg i'm on tonight is stronger than usual :)

Back