• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for my existing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orangezero

Registered
Okay,

I think i will be getting a new processor in the next few days and need a new motherboard for it. Right now i have two sticks of 256mb pc2700 "real" samsung memory.

I've been looking at getting the sis746 ecs motherboard for 66, the abit nf7, or the aopen ak79d-1394 motherboard. I like the ecs for cheapness, the abit for overclocking, and the aopen for all the extra features. I would be most likely to get the nf7 (v2.0) but i'm not so sure my memory could handle it. how high will i be able to get that memory? do i have any chance at over 200? I've heard of people getting up in the 190s or so with the ecs board.

Going to go for one of those 1700+ xp athlons.

My main goal is to get higher processor speeds to increase my mpeg2 converting for dvd making. i don't really do much else right now honestly.

it would be nice to have the extras, but i really only "need" to have ethernet and usb 2.0. firewire is optional, serial ata is completely silly to me right now since i already have enough hd space.

i guess i'm trying to justify spending the extra $30 or $60 just to get 11.5x200 instead of 11.5x190 and i don't think i can. and i don't want to spend the extra money on the motherboard and find out my ram is holding me back a lot. cause i think i could probably get the ecs for 66 and a good 1700+ for 72 of even one for 48.

any help?

You're approaching this backwards.

I mean, you're sort of saying "I don't want to buy a Barton 2500+ b/c I only have a GF3 Ti200, and the extra power will go to waste."

That's not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

My advice to you is not to make your current memory a limiting factor in your m/b choice. So what if the board you buy won't be able to get 210mhz FSB due to your PC2700? You'll be able to get 166, right? And if you get a good reliable board, two or four months from now, you could theoretically get some PC3500 or something.

Or two years from now, when you have a new rig ANYWAY, you could get some cheap PC3500 and have a GREAT second system, or fileserver, or family hand me down.

Basically, buy according to your needs. You mentioned 'extras', and I agree - buy according to THAT. Think upgradeability, what the board will be able to handle when you find yourself with money at the end of the summer, or midsummer, or whathaveyou.

Don't cheap out on yourself. ;)

Back