• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completed 5v mosfet mod, input?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

I just finished running a 5v line from the power supply to the 2 5v mosfets on the top of my a7v8x as described in Hoot's article. Here are some of the results that I have seen, more testing is in order and I will add farther results as I get them.

All of the voltage and temp values were taken from MBM5 unless specified to have come from the BIOS readings.

Prior to the mod:
- vcore was at 1.65v
- 5v was reading around 4.92 idle, and dropping as low as 4.78-4.82 full load.
- Temps were around 42c idle, 51c load

After the mod:
- vcore still at 1.65v
- 5v reads 4.99v in the bios, temps are 41c in bios.
- After booting MBM5 started reading exceedingly high temps, 53c climbing eventually to 57c
- 5v reads 4.95 idle, 4.87 load

Rebooted again and went directly into the bios, temp reading was 42c, I'm not sure what is happening but I wonder if either the bios or MBM5 is misreading the temp sensor. But I dropped the vcore to 1.6v and was able to boot and stay stable so far while maintaining my current overclock of 166fsb x 12.5 which was not possible before, but the idle temp is really high at 52c as per MBM5's readings.

Questions to answer:
- What could be causing the temp jump? is the cpu just receiving more juice or something, or is there a probability that MBM5 is going kookoo after the mod.

- The 5v readings are good in the bios, but low on boot through MBM5's readings. I am assuming this is due to sub par performance of the power supply, are there any other actions I can take to rectify this? I also have another week 250w PS that I could use to set up a dual PS system, what devices / fans / ect should I re-route to that PS if I do install it?

Conclusion:
I am going to run more stress tests to get temp/volt readings, and maybe install asus probe to try different software and see if it reads temps/volts different.

Well I had to go up to 1.625vcore in the bios, which reads as 1.7 in MBM5, and 1.66 in Asus Probe.

At full load (toast) MBM5 reads 60c (yikes), but Asus probe reads a more sutible 41c (in line with the bios readings). I am inclined to trust the Asus probe readings since after running at full load for about 30 minutes the CPU heat sink was hardly even warm to the touch, and I re-seated it to make sure there was good contact, and when I took it off there was an even, very thin dispersal of AS3 indicating solid contact.

So I am asuming that MBM5 is doing something screwy or reacting to the overclock/voltage mod poorly. (I wish I had a digidoc)

The 5v line is still indicating 4.86v under full load in Asus probe, so it looks like I may just be shelled with a poor PSU, oh well maybe I'll invest in a nice ANTEC down the road when I decide to install water cooling.

Back