• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem's with console & service install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I have never been able to get the service install to work on its own, I always have to do a regular console install and then do the service install for existing. Tonight I was trying to borg another computer , installed the service install and it never gave me the chance to enter username and team number. Is there anything I can try ?

with the service install you change the name and team number in the client.cfg. just copy one from one of yours from a manual install and use it instead of the one that comes with the service install.

Here's what I do, I'm sure this process is explained in another topic...

Create a new dir and copy these files:

FAH-Service-Install.exe (from the package)
FAH3Console.exe (from your own FAH dir, I recommend the latest version which enables SSE for AMD's)
client.cfg (from your own FAH dir, which already has the username and team entered by you)

To borg just have these three files in the target computer and run the FAH-Service-Install with the 'Automated' option, it's just a few click install!

I then created a fourth file (.REG) which adds the flags "-forceasm" and "-advmethods" to the service.

Just create a new file using notepad and insert:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters]
"AppParameters"="-service -advmethods -forceasm"

and save as "service.reg" for example! Just run it BEFORE clicking "FINISH" on the service install.

Kendan said:
with the service install you change the name and team number in the client.cfg. just copy one from one of yours from a manual install and use it instead of the one that comes with the service install.

I have tried that many times and it always goes back to a blank config.

But , I guess third time was a charm. I un-installed everything and re-installed for the third time and it works fine now. Make that 1 1.2 duron added to the fold :D

Sorry for the false alarm.

Look, this is very SIMPLE. To use the service install (not the one click deal), you MUST have YOUR preconfigured config file IN THE SAME DIRECTORY as the service install app. So you need 2 things, YOUR config file all filled out and the service install. When you run the service install you are given 4 options of how to install... quick, blah, etc. and AUTOMATED. CHOOSE AUTOMATED INSTALL, this will copy your config file and you will be good to go. For stealth borging, I always have the service installer put the FAH folder in the WINDOWS folder, not the program files folder :D

nikhsub1 said:
Look, this is very SIMPLE. To use the service install (not the one click deal), you MUST have YOUR preconfigured config file IN THE SAME DIRECTORY as the service install app. So you need 2 things, YOUR config file all filled out and the service install. When you run the service install you are given 4 options of how to install... quick, blah, etc. and AUTOMATED. CHOOSE AUTOMATED INSTALL, this will copy your config file and you will be good to go. For stealth borging, I always have the service installer put the FAH folder in the WINDOWS folder, not the program files folder :D

Tried that several times and it always makes a blank config. I even tried using it without changing your config file nik but it even blanked that one out. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be messing me up is that they are all XP home , instead of Pro. But hey I know how to make it work with just a little more work so it is all good. I plan to add another 1.2 Duron ( thanks Scoobiedoo ) by next weekend at the latest and a 1.4 t-bird within the next two weeks.

hkgonra said:

Tried that several times and it always makes a blank config. I even tried using it without changing your config file nik but it even blanked that one out. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be messing me up is that they are all XP home , instead of Pro. But hey I know how to make it work with just a little more work so it is all good. I plan to add another 1.2 Duron ( thanks Scoobiedoo ) by next weekend at the latest and a 1.4 t-bird within the next two weeks.
Are you sure the config file was in the same directory as the install AND you chose automated? I have used the service install on over 30 machines, all worked perfectly, home and pro.

First I thought that was my problem, but then I extracted the whole thing , to several different places including the ultimate destination folder for the install and none of them worked.

Back