• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My computer is running like complete garbage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

highschoolsucks

Registered
First, here are my specs:

EpoX 8RDA+
512 PC3200 Geil ram
Geforce 4 ti 4200
Barton 2500+

I get about 4,000 3Dmarks. Alright, maybe it's 3Dmark. Maybe it's just 3D games and anything that works with my refurbished video card.

Now, I check my system ram after surfing the web for about 10 minutes: I have 140 mb of RAM left. Strange. So I free my ram and by now, I have 100 mb of RAM left. That makes no sense at all.

Then, I check my CPU temps. I get up to 55 degrees celsius with 3 case fans, stock cooling, and no overclocking. This computer... sucks. Someone help me out before I grab a can of gasoline and a lighter and decide to "fix" my computer the easy way.

First, get ALL of the latest drivers for every device. Mainboard, sound card, Nvidia, etc. Also update windows and IE. I assume that you are using those. Don't forget to check your BIOS. Update that too if there is an update availible.

I would also look at testing the RAM. Geil has had a bad wrap lately. While it may be fine, running memtest or something would take that out of question.

Also, what are you using to clear your RAM?

Finally, I would check for virus. The RAM problem could be a memory leak, defective program, or virus. Panda software has a free online virus check if you don't have one already.

I fixed the RAM problem. I download a gigantic file and then moved it, and opened it, and I guess moving it caused a prob. cause when I moved it back it worked fine. Problem 3: Solved

Do you think the low 3Dmark scores and bad game performance can be caused by my refurbished Geforce 4 ti 4200? I don't see why, but I'm getting a radeon 9800 anyway.

Lastly, I can solve the CPU heat problem with a new heatsink and fan. I'll ask somewhere else for that.

are you talking about 3dmark2003? if so, that is normal. Try it with 2001SE and post back with what you get

Nope, that's 3DMark 2001se.

Remember guys, I might be in high school but I'm not new when it comes to computers. The answer here won't be something stupid like I left AA on accidentally.

errr, that isnt such a bad system...

mine gets +/-1200 at 3DMARK2001 gonna test again with GFX card overclock though...

BomberBear said:
are you talking about 3dmark2003? if so, that is normal. Try it with 2001SE and post back with what you get

That would be an awesome score for a ti4200 in 3dmark03. :D

The refurbished card shouldn't be a problem. However, is it seated correctly?

What startup items do you have? Go to the run prompt, and type msconfig (assuming you don't have win2k). Click on the startup tab, and disable everything (except systemtray if you're on a win9x machine). Restart, and see what happens to your scores.

Well... I followed everyone's advice in here (checking vid card seating, vsync, mobo drivers, deleting startup crap, etc) and I've risen from 4,000 at the beginning of this topic to a meager 7,000 right now. That still sucks. :bang head

Maybe it's the power supply? I have a Sparkle 350 watt, and I'm running the stuff in my first post plus a hdd, cdrom, and a sound card. it probably isn't, but I'm so damn confused by now that anything is possible.

This makes no sense AT ALL. Anything would be helpful.

I just got 1276 3DMarks on 3Dmark03. I got a CPU score of 268. What would be the score for my specifications? I'm not experienced with 3DMark03, so I'm not familiar with what would would make a good score.

I've also prepared a System Report using SiS soft sandra. If any kind soul wants to look over, just let me know.

Your power supply would not be the reason for a low score. If the PS was bad, you would get random crashes under load not slower performance. Sounds like you are starting to get a handle on it all with a 3000 point jump.

my gf3ti 500 gets like 12,900 in 01. I used to get 7k with my same setup that gets 13k now, but i solved stability issues with better cooling. I was able to overclock my video card a lot more after new cooling greese was added, and i was able to get about 5k more 3dmarks when i got my slk 800 and tornado because my proc wasnt stable like i thot. I was getting like 42 degree temps too, not 55. Now i get like 34-40 idle-load, so temps arent always good things to go by with stability. This is especially tru if u have a mobo sensor that is off by a lot.....

Back