• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRC Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan87951

Registered
I formatted and reinstalled my computer and now when ever I install any software from the cd-rom drive all I get are CRC errors about half way through the installation. I have 2 cd-rom drives and both of them will give me the error when I'm installing software from them. I have tried new cables, and even a new hard drive and still no luck. Any ideas on what is causing this? I get CRC errors really bad expecially when installing splinter cell or midnight club II.

A couple of things... First, try backing off the overclock, the controllers may be havng trouble if the PCI bus is out of spec. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the device drivers for the controller, hoping that they've been fouled up. Run a RAM test as well, probably not but worth a shot. If none of those work, then the controller may be going bad. Several options there, but hopefully one of the former.

ARe you sure all of your cds are fine? Try them in another computer. The back side of a CD is never to blown on, breathed upon, made wet, touched, laid down on, come in contact with anything.

Some people I know treat their cds like **** and then they ask me to download and burn them a copy becasue they killed their cd from scratches and finger prints. I have had to explain to them that wiping off peanut butter off with DRY paper towel won't fix your cd.

Well whats funny is that everything was fine before I formatted and re-installed. Once I re-installed the OS I started getting CRC errors. I will try andback off the OC a little down to 1.4-1.5GHz and see if that does anything. If not I will consider this a sign that the P4C-800E is waiting for me! ;)

Back