• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting Light on Switch??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mad Butter

Hey guys...I just got my new clear case and I have a red sound activated light...I want to put it in there but I dont want it to go off all the time. Like when I'm playing music I do..But when I'm at a LAN Party and just want my case to glow..Since I have glow in the dark IDE cables and White LED fans, I want it off...Is there a way I can jerry rig it or hook it up to a switch so when I want it on...I switch it on...And when I want it off..I switch it off..Is this possible?? I know there probably is a way...There's a way to do everything..I just dont know how..Will someone be kind enough to enlighten me and let me know...Thanks a lot everyone...

Yeah... if it's a DC fan, it's very very easy... Just go buy a single on/off switch from pretty much anywhere. It opens the signal(off) and closes it when you turn the switch on. You just need to stick the switch anywhere in between either wire that goes to your light. If it stops the negative power, you don't get light... if it stops the positive... same deal.

yea, what vonkaar said. Just put the switch on the ground wire that comes from the device you want to control.

yea...I still want to have it sound activated...I just want to be able to turn it completely off when I dont want it on...Or just hook it up to a knob somehow so I can just turn the sensitivity down when I want...I'd rather have a switch though because getting it back to the perfect sensitivity level is a pain...

most sound activated CC have a swich that dose all that.

and in reply to the whole + vs - wire thing,
swiching the + wire is safer, because if you swich the - the fan or whatever is at +12 (ie it has a +12v wire connected to it) so if some electical part come in contact with you or the case itll copletet the circut, (the theroy is that - wire = earth (what your case is conected to, or the stuff your standing on))
this is all based on 240vac practices, but i belive the same applys to 12vdc

Back