• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I buy metal sheeting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Home Depot, Do it Center any hardware store would have it and wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

sheetmetal is very inespensive and generaly found in the roofing section at hardware stores and Home Depot.

Be very, very carefull when cutting sheetmetal.
I have worked with sheetmetal for at least 15 years and have seen friends get cut's so deep they had to be taken to the hospital for stitches.
Always de-burr your edges with a small file, dremel tool or even a grinding stone. Never leave a sharp edge or corner, your skin will thank you for it later.

RobStyle said:
sheetmetal is very inespensive and generaly found in the roofing section at hardware stores and Home Depot.

Be very, very carefull when cutting sheetmetal.
I have worked with sheetmetal for at least 15 years and have seen friends get cut's so deep they had to be taken to the hospital for stitches.
Always de-burr your edges with a small file, dremel tool or even a grinding stone. Never leave a sharp edge or corner, your skin will thank you for it later.

I'm undecided about the roofing sheet metal. It's usually gavanized and much harder to weld. If you're not welding anything, this isn't a problem however. But, as for the warnings, definately take care when you're working with the stuff. When it cuts, it cuts deep, and it's not like a razor, it's a big, nasty wide cut.

here's a question.. since im interested in some sheet aluminum as well..

whats a good thickness for sheet metal to make an external enclosure??

say 8 x8 X 20

Always de-burr your edges with a small file, dremel tool or even a grinding stone. Never leave a sharp edge or corner, your skin will thank you for it later. [/B]

I hear that! It does not take much to cut skin... i mearly brushed a stack of glass and it cut me. I get mostly metal splinters though, no biggie :p

Sharp edges are nasty.
I once watched a guy in Home Depot grab a small 1'x1' peice of sheetmetal and proceed to drop it on his foot. It went through his foot like a knife through butter with blood squirting all over the place.

I was there to by sheetmetal by the way.
Luckly for me, the size I wanted didnt have any blood on it :D

I was thinking of doing something with sheet metal and I got a quick qustion? How hard is it to bend that stuff to get 90 degree angles? Then you could pop rivt the pices together to get a case? Also welding is out for me cause I don't know how or know some one with the stuff to do it.

Find a shop that has a bending brace. Some auto-body shops or sometimes local metal retailers can do it for you. For decently-sized items, it would be pretty hard to get a perfect 90° bend by hand.

Instead of bending it, I was planning on drilling holes in flat pices and using L-Brackets. Will this work?

You mean use 2 flat pieces and secure them together with L-brackets? Sure... I would suggest using corner pieces instead, otherwise you would need several L-brackets per joint, and that would be less sturdy.

I work in a sheet metal shop and I encourage you to look through your phone book for some local shops. We have people come in all the time looking for little snips and scraps and we are happy to offer them for free as long as they do not take advantage of the generosity. You would be very surprised indeed to find what your local shops can and will do for you for close to nothing when it comes to cutting, braking , polishing, and torching your metal for you. I operate a punch press and the designs you can get into metal are sometimes amazing when you learn to program these machines.

Back