• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I missing something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

towcutter

Registered
I can't run my ram at 400mhz as it is supposed to by the website specs. My fsb is at 202 and the memory frequency is 202. If I increase the memory multiplier on my board the system fails the memory test and I have to clear the cmos. There must be something I don't understand about setting up the memory speeds. I ve tried bandwith benchmarking with sandra and the efficiency is 94 and 89. Can i do better? Maybe because the fsb is indicated at 202 and the memory freq is at 202, is it multiplied by 2 to achieve the final speed? Thanks in advance.:confused:

Your memory is running at 404 MHZ when the FSB is at 202.

So, when you increase the multiplier, you may be trying to run the memory a lot faster then you intend.

It is possible to set the memory to a 4:5 relationship in the bios and proceed with overclocking the CPU while maintaining the integrity of the memory chip. If you did that , then your memory would allow a maxium fsb of 250 while still staying within it's rated clock of 400. Check it out.

ratios help.. amd you would want 1-1 ratio but intels can do some good stuff with different ratios

mrgreenjeans said:
It is possible to set the memory to a 4:5 relationship in the bios and proceed with overclocking the CPU while maintaining the integrity of the memory chip. If you did that , then your memory would allow a maxium fsb of 250 while still staying within it's rated clock of 400. Check it out.

you would mean the 5:4 ratio ;)

----------------------------------------
your RAM is DDR, Double Data Rate, which means that its speed is doubled...

400Mhz RAM = DDR200 or PC3200, if i were you, id keep it at 1:1 ratio, then pump up the FSB...
then when you cant go higher cuz of the memory... use the 5:4 one... just to get to know the limits...

good luck :)

Back