• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finishing up system, What ram? Help is appreciated.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daerius

Registered
Hi there!

I've been researching for the past 2 weeks and finding out what system to purchase, and its going to be ordered later today. I've come up with the following.

P4 2.6c 800fsb
Abit IS7-E
Xaser III with 7 fans + Fanbus and a 420 PSU
Thermalright SP-94 with a Vantec 92mm Tornado
ATI Radeon 9800XT

Have HD, Audigy and DVD/Cdrom

I will be OCing this system to 3.2-3.4 or there abouts. Im not looking to go extreme as this is my first time OCing. Who knows what may happen later though :D

I need to figure out what ram to purchase, and i've been doing alot of reading but I cannot seem to come up with an answer.
Im looking for 1gig of DDR dual channel (2x512) and while im not on a budget per say, Im not looking to spend an absurd amount on ram. I need something that'll work well in the system, and its going to be used for gaming only. Do I need to go for PC4000? Or will 3200 be OK? What kinda timings do I need to look for?

Appreciate the help.

- Daerius

P.S. If you have any recommendations of changes that I should make, now would be a good time :)

your system look very nice, i would go for some BH-5 Ram, look at the sticky at the top.

the timings you want to shoot for are 2-2-2-5.

Like stand said, memory using Winbond BH-5 chips would be most suitable to your system. Winbond BH-5 chips are widely regarded as the best performing mass-produced memory IC's currently available. They once were available in many places, but are now out-of-production (due to Winbond switching over the to cheaper CH-5). The memory listed in the "BH-5 Pricelist" sticky, are the last remaining memory utilizing these chips.

For the cheaper course, I would recommend Kingston HyperX PC3000. Pay no attention to the PC3000 rating, as these should be using BH-5 chips, which are (just like almost all PC3200/PC4000) are naturally 5ns (200MHz - DDR400) chips.

For the more promised course, I would recommend purchasing Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500 from NewEgg.

Thanks for the reply.

I was wondering, does memory speed impact load times or FPS within a game? Or both? I never really figured that out, and have never put much emphasis on ram until now.

Speed_Mechanic2 said:

For the more promised course, I would recommend purchasing Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500 from NewEgg.

Awhile ago I did some reading in the Intel CPU section and many people were saying the 2.6c and this ram were a great matchup.

So I'll second that, doesn't seem like you can go wrong with BH-5 anyways.

Back