• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+12 Volt,need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

My +12 volts on my Antec True Power 430 seems to not be stable,in is in the range of 11.86 and 11.92 back and fourth,is this normal?

thanks

Yep, my antec true 430 does the same thing, 11.85 to 11.92.Anyone give us an idea if this is acceptable range or is a call to antec in order?

Southern said:
Yep, my antec true 430 does the same thing, 11.85 to 11.92.Anyone give us an idea if this is acceptable range or is a call to antec in order?

My old Antec 400 dosen't do it,and this is my second 430 thanks to a RMA that don't seem to be stable,my system can run Prime for hours on end and then it will become unstable:(

If you are getting these voltages from software then while it is close it does NOT represent the actual voltages. Use a good Digital MultiMeter and check it with that.

My Antec 480W hold steady at 11.94 underload testing with a multimetter at the back access plug. In the motherboard software, it read 11.78 and bounces .06V.

Tmod said:
If you are getting these voltages from software then while it is close it does NOT represent the actual voltages. Use a good Digital MultiMeter and check it with that.

I have a multimeter,but were do you test at?
And what setting do you use?

Thanks

I have a multimeter,but were do you test at?

Dave,a typical 4 pin molex has a 12 and a 5 volt side with the 2 center black being ground.Using dc selction on your multimeter check to see if it auto ranges.If not select 12 volt dc and put your black leed to either center black for ground and check the outer 2 wires for you 12 and 5 volt readings.

Yep, the trusty volt meter shows the software readings are correct, 4.99 for 5 volt and 11.92 for 12 volt side.Lemme run to antec's site and see what the specs are. :)

I too have an antec 430w true power thing, and although I have not paid too much attention to the voltages, this gives me cause for concern. I would test it but haven't got around to getting a multimeter. Maplin (typically ignorant and often overpriced electronics and computer store here in U.K) have a digital multimeter for about £4 ($7?). It boasts 0.5% accuracy or something. Is it going to be any good do you think, or is it worth splashing out on something a little more expensive?

Worst comes to worst I have an Aopen (rebranded fortron) 350w psu lying around, so I could try that too.

OK, Antec's site says +/- 3% load regulation.If i understand this correctly the range would be 11.64 to 12.36 and be within range.Is this correct??

Southern said:
OK, Antec's site says +/- 3% load regulation.If i understand this correctly the range would be 11.64 to 12.36 and be within range.Is this correct??

Hey thanks for the help guys,I am going to check the voltages right now:D

Tmod said:

is this also true for vdimm and vcore readings?

if so where/how would i test them with a multimeter?

shortbus_ said:

is this also true for vdimm and vcore readings?

if so where/how would i test them with a multimeter?

Usually not, and if so not to the same extent. What he should have said is that the readings you get from the motherboard are not always the same as what the PSU is outputting. The connection between the motherboard and PSU is not always up to par...

CrashOveride

Tmod said: If you are getting these voltages from software then while it is close it does NOT represent the actual voltages.
CrashOveride said: What he should have said is that the readings you get from the motherboard are not always the same as what the PSU is outputting.

My point was that if you count on the software monitoring program for accurate voltage measurements that it might not be telling you the truth.

For the most accurate voltage readings check at the motherboard with the system running and somewhat of a load on it.

Dave65

Just download the image of the plug that I posted and take the measurements there.

Remember to connect to a good ground on the motherboard.

File

Re: CrashOveride

Tmod said:

My point was that if you count on the software monitoring program for accurate voltage measurements that it might not be telling you the truth.

For the most accurate voltage readings check at the motherboard with the system running and somewhat of a load on it.

It's telling you the truth, it's telling you exactly what the motherboard is getting, weather or not the PSU is sending that much is another matter though. (And it doesn't really lie :D)

Er... do you mean that the sensor on the motherboard are often wrong? If so wanna show me some documentation or testing that has been done to show this?

Also, the image you posted, do you mean get them from teh back of the motherboard or the top of the plug?

Back