• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortyes

I just got a RMA mobo from Abit, I turn it on and I get a puff of smoke and a burnt smell from the lower right hand corner.

I get no beep and no signal is fed to the monitor but all the fans are on.

Help?

Only thing thats down there are the various cable thingies. Ya know like: PC speaker, HDD light, Pwr On.

Is it possible that maybe you put the wires in the wrong spot or reversed em or something like that.

Reversing a positive to a negative might cause that.

Sent How do you place the cables for theHDD light and so forth?

The + sign from the mobo manual means ground?

I have no idea. All I know is that all the white cabled side is toward the CD-ROMS.

I jsut went by what was marked on the plugs themselves. I would re-check all of em tho.

Take the little sitcker with the mobo layout and make sure everything is alligned properly

RMA, and when you get another one, read the manual twice before doing anything and then go through it step by step.

I doubt that the polarity of the connectors would cause that. Switches and speakers don't care and an LED just won't work if plugged in wrong. There's no incoming voltage in that area, so I would say that the board was just defective; no blame on shortyes unless the board got gounded to the case from a mis-aligned stand-off.

The same thing happened to me when I built my first computer see below I did not put any offsets on and attached it right to the case and when I turned it on boom two 1 mb later and 2 PS later I got help and put some tap on the back it all good now.

I have offsets on my case. Each one is only touching the metal around the screw holes so that should not have shorted it out.

just fyi,+ is positive or voltage,not ground. - is negitive or ground,think of how a car battery is labled.there are other ground symbols.

If your using the NF7-S Thats in your sig, the CMOS battery, and clrcmos jumper is in that area. If you fired up the board in the clear cmos position, that would cause your puff of smoke.

Not that I like to admit it, but I'm guilty of that myself. Luckily, when I put the jumper back where it belonged, the board was just fine. I've heard a couple of stories where people weren't so lucky after the mishap though.

Hoping for a happy ending!

nah I made sure the cmos was in the closed position something just went poof. Everything was okay when I tested the RMA board with the bare minimum aka vid card, ram and CPU w/ HSF

When I put it in my case and attached the HDD and Optical drives PUFF

Gotta be an earthing problem then matey, somethings touching somewhere. Sure there are no risers that are not screwed in but touching the underneath of the board perhapse???

There is 1 riser that is not screwed in but that shouldn't matter though since it is touching the protective layer around the screw hole

Back