• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with a odd PSU problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonFire

I got a Enermax EG465-VE (430W) PSU.

When I put it in my main system I have the problem of either the video card not getting enough power which causes the computer not to boot or if I change the power connectors around I can get it to boot but then have problems with my harddrive(s) restarting either while be detected or while windows trys to boot....

If I put this psu in my 2 system I have problems with the computer starting. I hit the power button and the fans twitch and then nothing. I have to unplug the psu and back in again and then it starts up most of the time.

Another problem with system #2 is when I due turn it off, the keyboard and optical mouse stay on. Almost as if its in standby mode or smoething even tho I have all power managment settings disabled in the bios.

Here is the load for both boxs

System #1

Abit An7
XP 2400+ @ 2.2Ghz
1GB PC2700 ram
ATI 9800 Pro
80GB Seagate SATA
80GB Seagate ATA
Pioneer 16X DVD
Samsung 40x CDR

Sysrem #2
Soyo Dragon Plus Plan (KT333)
XP 2000+
256MB PC2700 ram
GeForce 3
15GB Mator ATA
SB Live Value
Linksys nic

Ideas? Is it going bad or could it just be a connector problem?

Last edited:
I am sure trying a multi meter will be suggested.But it sounds like ya need to replace that Psu

multimeter measures output at molex plugs

pull your sound card out, if you have one, and unplug your hard drives & optics and see if it posts?

On system #1 it will post with all drives plugged in ig I get the right connector in the video card.....Its almost as if some of the wires have come undone from within since some molex plugs will feed my video and other wont...

I've had Molex pins come loose and cause HD problems, as recently as last week. Each pin is a metal tube that's slit down one side, and it may help to pry each tube between the surrounding plastic and 90 degrees from that slit. If that doesn't help, maybe the wire isn't crimped very well to one of the tubes.

If a wire isn't soldered well to the circuit board, the solder could be cracked (can be hard to see), or the soldering was done very badly and nothing stuck to the wire (sometimes a barrier of rosin forms between it and the solder). Redoing the solder can require a 40-50W iron or else it won't fully melt. Also you don't want to melt the insulation on top and cause a short or forget to cut off the lead on bottom to prevent it from shorting against the case (don't rely on any plastic insulator sheet to prevent that).

Back