• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadHookUp

Currently I am using the Linksys BSFERG41? Something like that. The general DSL/Cable DHCP router. My cousin stopped by about a month ago and updated the firmware. I never updated it before, it still had the firmware straight from the box. It ran fine for me, so I didnt really care.

Not directly after he updated it, but recently my router keeps disconnecting on me. I would say about 10-15 times a day my router will drop my internet connection. Sometimes it will drop for several minutes. Or it will never connect again till I unplug the power cord and plug it back in.

This is really becomming annoying because I play UT2004 a lot in my clan. Losing a match over a dropped connection really ****es me off. I am also on IRC all day, so it drops me from that constantly. I also term serv into my PC from work, so dropped connections make me want to go postal!

Now on top of this, network file sharing is brutally slow. It takes forever to transfer files.

So what should I do? Get a new router? I like the interface on Linksys, but I would like to speed up the file sharing as well. Maybe I just need to reset my firmware again? I dont use wireless, but I might eventually. So if I am going to get a new router, mabye I should consider getting one of those? Any advice is appreciated.

So i had a problem AFTER you upgraded firmware? If so, maybe loading it with the old firmware version would help the problem.

I know there is a problem with the linksys's having a 10-15 sec disconnect on some of the revisions. Sounds like you might own one that has the problem.

I would check to see if there is a newer firmware and try that. If not reset the router and redo all your settings and see if that helps:D

Back