• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA vs IDE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionnt

Im building a new A64 Rig on a MSI K8T-Neo Mobo but i dont know what types of hard drives i should get.

Should i go with two 160gb SATA hard drives, or two 160gb IDE hard drives?

I know the SATA drives are faster and the cables are much smaller making them easier to deal with, but is the performance really worth the price?

What tould you go with, IDE or SATA?

Yah really the price isnt even worth thinking about. Not all SATA drives are priced like the raptors. You might want to do some more research, from what I have seen the price difference is nothing.

I made the switch to SATA in my main rig to save some space and I wanted something that spins 10,000rpm.

My experience initially was that data transfers were smoking fast compared to my old IBM 7200rpm drives, but it is pretty noisy. I had a little trouble getting it set up, but that was all related to bios problems at the time with my motherboard.

In the futue on my gaming rig, I will most likely go with the SATAs. My .02 cents.

So, Next Question, are Hitachi Drives any good? they are like $20 bucks cheaper than the seagate drives i had planned on getting and the drives are identical

orionnt said:
So, Next Question, are Hitachi Drives any good? they are like $20 bucks cheaper than the seagate drives i had planned on getting and the drives are identical

Hitachi drives are actually the best you can get right now according to storagereview.com . The fact that they are cheaper is a nice bonus.

StorageReview Leader Board

Check that out, that should help make your choice even easier :D.

i read somewhere that a sata drive did worse than an ata133 because of latencies...anyone want to clear that up?

I have two Seagate 80Gig SATA running RAID 0 striped and the performance is outstanding. If your into overclocking your machine (you must be you're here), get your self the two 160 SATA and get a RAID card, if you dont have it onboard, and run a striped array. Its unbelievable how much performance you gain. IDE is a thing of the past. Good luck

Just so you guys know, the only SATA drives that add any performance boost over standard IDE drives are the Raptors. All the others just are IDE drives with SATA connectors, basically. The only performance boost you might get is some overhead off of your CPU by going to SATA.

Arent they coming out wit hlike SATA 2 or something near the end of this year? i know they have DDR2, but i remember seeing someitnhg about SATA2 or like a new SATA version or whatever you wanna call it.

well i dont plan on really building the system until x-mas anyweays, so by then DDR2 & 2nd Generation SATA will be out :)

I just got my 12g Baracude 7200 SATA and i'm wondering if i will see a difference with the IDE version?!?!

I'm planning to buy another one before the end of the year, and go raid :) that's why I choose SATA...

LanWaker said:
I just got my 12g Baracude 7200 SATA and i'm wondering if i will see a difference with the IDE version?!?!

I'm planning to buy another one before the end of the year, and go raid :) that's why I choose SATA...

http://storagereview.com/articles/200309/20030904WD2500JD_1.html
"The furious pace of ATA capacity innovation has slowed into a sedate period where the most significant announcements center around previously-released models retrofitted for the serial ATA interface."
"One such drive is Western Digital's Caviar WD2500JD. To ease their entry into the SATA market, WD (like Maxtor) has opted to incorporate PATA-to-SATA bridge chips on their latest lineup."
"Some readers have expressed concern with drives such as the WD2500JD that utilize PATA-SATA bridge chips rather than incorporating a "native" design as, say, Seagate's drives do. Converters usually exact a performance penalty- the concern is, how much?"

Seeing that bit about Seagate made me take a look around for some of those drives to see if they're any better.

http://storagereview.com/articles/200306/20030615ST3160023A_1.html
"With the serial ATA 'Cuda V, Seagate finally debuted a drive featuring an 8-megabyte buffer as well as the only drive to eschew a PATA-to-SATA bridge. While this first attempt exhibited some improvement over the standard parallel ATA (2-meg) unit, the SATA Barracuda nonetheless trailed WD's and Hitachi's disks by a significant margin."

Check out the benches on the SATA and ATA versions of the same Seagate drive here.

As you can see, SATA drives that are not "true" SATA drives do not offer any performance benefit other than taking some overhead off of the CPU by running through the SATA controller.

Ad Rock said:

Hitachi drives are actually the best you can get right now according to storagereview.com . The fact that they are cheaper is a nice bonus.

StorageReview Leader Board

Check that out, that should help make your choice even easier :D.

BUT the benchies compare it to the barracuda V because it says seagate couldnt supply them with the new one...so which one is really better??

Back