• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

proxy server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guy Incognito

Registered
I want to setup a squid proxy server. However, i'm not sure if the machine will need only 1 or 2 NICs. i looked on the squid homepage ,but i couldn't find any information.

What is your current setup, network wise? You don't neccessaraly need 2 nic's. I have a squid proxy server on my home lan behind a router, and I use just one nic. I just point my client browsers to the ip addy of the proxy server - works great.

also, you can have more than one IP address on a single NIC, if you are going to use it for routing as well. then you just plug everything into the hub. i dont know how practical this is though.

no, i'm not going to use it for routing. But could i use this for restricting internet access? Like say i want to make it so that each computer has access to the internet during a specific time of day. Is this possible to do with a proxy?

You would use this along with squid proxy,,,,,,

http://www.squidguard.org/intro/

squidGuard can be used to

* limit the web access for some users to a list of accepted/well known web servers and/or URLs only.
* block access to some listed or blacklisted web servers and/or URLs for some users. **)
* block access to URLs matching a list of regular expressions or words for some users. **)
* enforce the use of domainnames/prohibit the use of IP address in URLs. **)
* redirect blocked URLs to an "intelligent" CGI based info page. **)
* redirect unregistered user to a registration form.
* redirect popular downloads like Netscape, MSIE etc. to local copies.
* redirect banners to an empty GIF. **)
* have different access rules based on time of day, day of the week, date etc.
* have different rules for different user groups.
* and much more..

Back