• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prescott or nothwood

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

I am buying a new system next week and have decieded on motherboard and ram but not sure which p4 to go for 2.8 or 3.0 prescott or northwood.

I will not be upgrading again for a few years so i dont know weather the new instruction on the prescott will come in good use over the next few years.
But a little worried about the heat issues but i am buying a zalman cnps7000a-cu will this be ok??

which cpu ????

Please help will be buying on thursday :confused:

Definetely a northwood..........I'm planning on getting a 3Ghz in a couple of months..overclocks very well........

Yes, best bang for the buck is generally the 3.0C. They can usually get a minimum 500 Mhz overclock without heating up much more.

The prescott's new instructions may help down the line.... key word MAY :)
I had a 2.8E for a while, it was pretty fast, but just got too warm for my taste.
On air, definitely go northwood.

-Chris

Lancelot here is having a pretty 2.8E overclock currently :)

Depending on what programs you use, choose. Prescott will offer an improvement for futural programs (PNI: prescott new Instructions), and the 1 meg cache greatly helps progs like SETI and CAD. id generally go for the Northwood tho

Northwood fer days!

Where is the "prescott pusher" at? He should be here reamin' out us Northwood lovers. ;>)

:attn:

k_r_i_p_l_e_r said:
northwood for now, maybe next year the presc

Yep, I'm really interested in what the new Prescott stepping will be like. Its supposed to be released in June. who knows, I might be a Prescott pusher myself if they turn out to be good. ;)

I have a 3.0E Prescots CPU, and its currently overclocked @ 3.6gHz, currently its setting at 37c Degree's. Im on h20 cooling as well. It is working great right now.

Back