• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to dissable stand-by on PS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wquiles

Hi,

I have an old MB (Asus CUSL2 - PIII 1Ghz, 512MB Ram) that is stuck on standby mode. The board works well since the really old PS that I have does nothing about standby.

However, I NEED to put a new PS since the old one is failing (I am having Hard Drive problems directly related to the PS) but the new PS that I bought (Supper Flower 350W ATX Model TT-350SS) DOES recognize the standby mode and after a couple of minutes/hours it shuts down!

I have tried all setting on the BIOS as well as completely dissabling the Win2K power-saving features/modes, but nothing prevents the MB from leaving this Standby mode so the new PS eventually goes into stanby. Only the dying, piece of (you know what!) PS works with this old MB :bang head

So, what I need to know is how to dissable the standby signal from the MB from telling the new PS to shutdown. Most likely a pin that I need to leave out, ground, or tie to 5V. Can anyone help me with this simple thing?

Thanks so much in advance!

I though of that, but I have two of these brand new PS and I tested them both outside of the computer case and they work perfectly. They both behave exactly the same, so I can't beleive that it is something wrong with the new PS.

I can see the standby light on the MB, per the manual, and nothing seems to be able to get the standy light to go away - only the old PS works fine (which is about to die any day now). The problem is that the new PS acqnowledges the standby from the MB the old one does not. That is why I want to dissable the stand-by function.

Any ideas/links for me to study/review to make the new PS ignore the standby mode?

I'm not sure what you want to do, but the led your talking about(between the 4. and 5. pcislot?) is a led that tells that the mobo has power. If this led is not lit then the psu is broken or not connected to a power outlet(sp?).

The reason your computer shuts down after a while could be some one of two things(IMO).

1.Your mobo or other component has some failure that makes the mobo shut down. What happens then is that the connection between pin 14 and ground on the atx connector is removed. The mobo controls that.

2. For some reason the one or more of the voltage rails gets out of spec(believe its 5-10%) and the psu removes the the "power-good" signal, pin 8 atx connector, making the mobo to power down avoiding system damage.

A atx psu has no "standby mode/sensor" or similar functions. The only things going thru the atx connector is:

1 +3,3V
2 +3,3V
3 ground
4 +5V
5 ground
6 +5V
7 ground
8 Power-Good
9 +5Vsb (always on)
10 +12V
11 +3,3V
12 -12V
13 ground
14 PS-On(start psu)
15 ground
16 ground
17 ground
18 -5V
19 +5V
20 +5V

Pin 9 is what makes the your mobo led light up. AFAIK, if there is no voltage on this pin you will not be able to start your computer at all. I guess you could call it "standby power".

The ASUS manual says that the LED is for "Standy Power". When my computer goes into standby mode, the front power LED (normally solid green) blinks ON and OFF.

What's really confusing to me is that this "problem" only happens with both of the new, more powerful power supplies. Why would the old PS have no problems?

It may sound like a dumb question, but do you have adiquate ventilation? It almost sounds like the newer 'more powerful' PSU's require a bit more case cooling, and are currently shutting down enough into standby. Try this: boot up your PC with a boot disc, let it sit with the old-school CMD Prompt blinking, and see if it still goes into standby. AFAIK, standby is activated by the OS [by telling the motherboard], not the PSU. The PSU output should always stay the same - none of the rails would 'hibernate'.

HiProfile - good idea. I will try higher speeds on the case fans to see if it makes any difference.

DaWiper:
Power Management: Dissabled
Video Off Option: Suspend-> Off
Video off Method: DPMS Off
HDD Power Down: Dissabled
Suspend-to-ram capability: Dissabled
Suspend Mode: Dissabled
PWR Button < 4 sec: Soft off

wquiles said:
The ASUS manual says that the LED is for "Standy Power". When my computer goes into standby mode, the front power LED (normally solid green) blinks ON and OFF.

What's really confusing to me is that this "problem" only happens with both of the new, more powerful power supplies. Why would the old PS have no problems?

I believe that in this case "Standby Power" may refer to the standby power provided by the PSU when it is plugged-in but not turned on (+5VSB) and not to your PC being in a power saving apm or acpi state.

Back