• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new A64 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necromanx13x

Hey guys my friend asked me to help build a new computer for him but Ive been away from the forum and computers in general for a while so Im pretty outdated, especially with the new A64s, mobos, videocards, and whatnot. So basically I looking for some suggestions on a system. He's builiding this mainly for Everquest 2 but basically wants an awesome computer but not necessarily total top of the line. Hes looking to get an A64 with 2 gigs of ram and most likely a 9800 XT (though if the new cards are really worth the $500 he would consider them too). What do you guys suggest as far as the CPU, mobo, ram, and maybe video card? BTW, hes not planning on overclocking or anything so overclockability isnt really an issue. I know this is kind of long and whatnot but I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

Well, 2 GB of RAM is a hefty amount, and are never cheap. But this is my suggestion.

A64 3200+
Abit K8V Mobo
2 GB of Kingston, Corsair, or other preffered memory manufacturer
6800 gt (Brand undecided)
Chaintech AV-710 (Good enough for Maxvla)

But I think taht should be a good start for now, and even have some overclocking potential. Maybe others can add, change, or shoot down my idea, but it is just a suggestion.

I think that 2gig is unneccessary, and that extra money should be spent towards a new video card...

A64 3000+ (or 3200+) Newcastle, make sure it is CG rev (asthey are @ newegg)--->172bucks
epox 8kda3J --->99bucks for nforce3 250gb and a sweet board
OCZ PC3700EB which is good with A64 --->1gig 350ish OR Crucial Ballistix PC4000 for just a tad less
6800GT from BFG + VGA silencer rev4 ----> about 450ish
Chaintech AV-710----> good soundcard for 25bucks
case---->60ish
Good PSU, maybe an antec true 430---->60ish
Sata HD of your choice/size---> no more than 100bucks
DVD/CD blah no more than 60ish
mouse/key no more than 30ish
speakers---> logitech z640's are absolutely amazing about 50bucks (5.1)

I think that's it ---->about 1500bucks. Shop around for best prices.

Hey thanks a lot. Im still trying to catch up on all the new A64 since I was out of it for a while.

Back