• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting out with Barton (cooling)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chibahawk

Registered
My first home built...Im going to use the AMD XP 2500+ along with a MSI K7N2 Delta-L MB and a GB of dual channel

now im not sure how hard im going to boost the CPU or how much is safe on my soon to be system..also what kind of heatsink should I buy? I dont want to push my CPU into a dangerous area but on top of that I dont want to be overprotective buying a $50 fan when ive already shelled out my hard earned money on the system itself...

What RAM are you using?
If you need high range multipliers (13 and up) the only nForce2s that post them without mods are Abit, DFI and Soltek. Your MSI gives you only the low range with them without the wire trick, which may be all you need...

Thermalright all copper heatsink, any one of them is just great.

Look for them at known vendors + pricewatch.com, even eBay if you can't afford a brand new one...

actually id love a RAM recommendation as I havent bought memory yet..I was going to buy one of those Dual Channel packs but I might just pick up two sticks of 512 to DC them...also im gonna end up needin a breakdown of that response but dont worry about it im gonna do the knowledge before i go through with everything...thanks for the fan advice

Heatsink brand is Thermalright (not Thermaltake)
You'll need a fan for that heatsink but heatsink is more important than fan.

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions, right here in your thread.

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

The higher the FSB, the better:

Average generic RAM stick overclocks:

PC2100 from 133 FSB to high 140s or low 150s FSB, 100% insync.

PC2700 from 166 FSB to high 180s to low 190s FSB, 100% insync.

PC3200 way into 200s FSB, depending on brand. There are PC3000 sticks that are excellent overclockers too.

Get the mobile Barton 2500+ or mobile 2600+, not desktop versions which overclock less.

Don't get any other mobiles, the 2500+ and the 2600+ MOBILES are champ overclockers. Newegg.com has them.

Back