• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LGA75 and the old 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whoever

okay, so about 6 months ago I would have opted for eh 3000+ athlon 64bit hands down. But now with these new lga775 chips that are supposed to hit 5ghz, Im woundering.

You see, supposwivly tthe 64s and tyhe old P4s were about the same in preformcance, but Im not sure anymore with these new intels. It seems that AMD is no logner cheaper, and Im wounderign whats the best chioce?

Also what is hyper transport? Is that amds form of hyperthreading, a dual proccesor setup is essential to me, and the p4 does just that.

I don't think i will overclock even though Im on water, it doesn't seem like these chips get more than a couple hundread mhz out of them, and whats the diffrence?

well mainly I just wanted to know about the new chips. And I would prcie them but neweggs down again.

the lg775 are promising yet, but all the uber clocks that I have seen have been on exotic cooling. and your normal setup, unvoltmoded, and not LN2 cooling will not hit that. The Socket 754 and 939 A64s are still beating the lg775s, the only advantage is that they have DDR2 and PCI-E Support.

You won't see 5 gig on these LGA775 CPUs without supercooling. I just built on of these new systems and got 3.9 gig with air (see green rig in my siggy). I'd like to see proof that an air cooled A64 will "beat" my system. I'm assuming that means it will win the majority of benchmarks, right? I highly doubt it.

okay so it looks like the battle batween intel and amd is still at a stand still. And maybe since I already ahve a gig of ram (ddr400) its not a b ad idea to go 64. Im still undecided, I may just bough up $100 and buy an xp mobile. Try and make this system jug for a while longer

well and i looked at some benches and it seems that the lga775 isn't going offerign any prefromcance advantage at all, just better upgradablility.

and when i said they are supposed to hit 5ghz I meant stock whiting a year or so.

thanks a lot!

dicecca112 said:
overclocked wise batboy I haven't seen the benchies comparsion but stock, the a64 is beating the lg775

That was his point. The Prescott scales extremely well when you up the FSB. A64's beat P4's stock for stock, but when both are overclocked, the field is much more even.

Kind of depends which A64 you go with and what benchmarks you use! A typical overclocked 3800+ on air will certainly win most gaming benchmarks and scientific benchmarks and lose most encoding benchmarks v a 3.9GHz Intel. Oh and I am well aware that the 3800+ is more expensive but that was never mentioned in the original criteria lol!

okay, so the intel ocs better, but I am actually thinking of going with the 64, cause I don't want to buy new ram/vid card, and the 64 will still have upgrade room, unless I site with an old p4 system. Im kinda torn right now.
+
also is hypertransport the same as hyperthreading?

Back