• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "SKYNET" - please help to choose parts and safe-overclock an i7-based PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so uhm okey.. the overclocking part.

whats the most secure way to OC to 4.0 or even 4.2 GHZ on the rampage 3?
there were some noob-options for that, like a single frequency box.. called something like "processor upgrade" or similar. anyone know what it was called? and is it actually any good for my "only real world performance counts, but i want as much of it as i can safely take"-purposes?

so uhm okey.. the overclocking part.

whats the most secure way to OC to 4.0 or even 4.2 GHZ on the rampage 3?
there were some noob-options for that, like a single frequency box.. called something like "processor upgrade" or similar. anyone know what it was called? and is it actually any good for my "only real world performance counts, but i want as much of it as i can safely take"-purposes?

first thing you need to do is read this http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
article was made not to long ago by the #10 overclocker int he world i believe
and i have no clue about intel bios so il let a intel guy handle that haha

uuh gotta read more of that stuff tomorrow, brain doesnt work anymore, its late..

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-rampage-iii-extreme-review/2

the video shows the BIOS of rampage 3

at the very beginnign is actually what i was looking for - CPU level up.. so i guess ill be just setting it to 4.2 and testing for stability, unless someone says there is considerably real-world performance increase to gain if i go manual

uuh gotta read more of that stuff tomorrow, brain doesnt work anymore, its late..

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-rampage-iii-extreme-review/2

the video shows the BIOS of rampage 3

at the very beginnign is actually what i was looking for - CPU level up.. so i guess ill be just setting it to 4.2 and testing for stability, unless someone says there is considerably real-world performance increase to gain if i go manual
set the clocks whatever intels are in increments of 5 then run prime 95 for 5 min if no crash raise clocks again repeat this untill you crash then start downclocking and running prime for a good 12 hours to find the stable oc

oh, joker, i got a real dumb question for you.

how do you attach BOTH of the sandwich-fans on your corsair cooler to the CPU cooler slot, so its temperature-sensitive and stuff.. you know..?

Hey Jay Riffs. I think your project looks interesting. :D I have the same problem of how to attach it both. :(

I have one both fans that are on the rad hooked into my power supply. The CPU header is used for the power wire coming off of the pump / block unit.

arent you supposed to hook the pump into th epwoer supply and the fan(s) into the cpu header? at least so everyone else says o_O

and btw, what about pump noise? i mean really the pump, not rhe fans.. after reading about people complainign aobut the noise and taking a closer listen to the h50 reviews i am now more slanted towards the noctua c12p SE14 low-profile aircooler.. because i guess im the kind of person more bothered by "different" kind of noise then just the presence of aircooling noise itself.

hows your pump?

@ makindue: on the web somewhere i found the solution for that already: you get a Y-split, and cut the RPM feedback cable on ONE of your fans. the fans must be identic, this way the one fan with uncut cable will report RPM to the mobo, which will supply power for the corresponding RPM for both of the fans since they got the same power cords, just split. but dont take my word for it, you better find the original article if you plan on doing that.

sorry for typos its rly late and im rly tired

WEEEEEEEEEEEE, i finaly saved the cash and just 10 mins ago ordered all the stuff, it should be there in a week at max.

Rampage 3 Extreme
i7 980x with Noctua NH-C12P SE14 flat cooler
OCZ 24gb RAM kit
OCZ RevoDrive PCIe 240gb SSD (it owns, mostly because its a freakin PCIe drive, cmon, that fact is almost as awsome as its actual speed)
2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Golden Sample, 2048MB
Antec P193 case
Corsair 750 watt power supply, the one with 23897843 energy saving awards etc

+ logitech x540 5.1 speakers and minor stuff like cardreader etc

yes, im posting it just so i can fap to it :D

:comp:

Back