• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me diagnose a WoW crash...doesn't seem like overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

verc

So World Of Warcraft randomly crashes with a "fail to read error"

I ran Prime95 and my computer fails it, but I'm thinking it can't really be an overheating issue (I've got XP3200, A78NX MB) because nothing catastrophic is happening, just a program crash.

So I replace the RAM, still happens. Also replaced the hard drive prior to this (The game wasn't even installing, the hard drive was 10 years old)

I've noticed a slight drop in fan speed when I run heavy applications (8200 -> 8000 according to MBM)

PSU seems working fine, I have a 550W unit.

Can't really think of anything else. I've got some thermal gel and I might reseat the CPU heatsink, but I don't think it's overheating. Any help?

Thanks!

Try underclocking your system to the point that you can run Prime 95 stable for a while and then try WoW.

You may aswell reseat your HSF beforehand. Doing that can never hurt!

How are your voltages doing?

And how much RAM do you have? Do you have paging file disabled? If you do, try enabling it and see if you get that error again.

Here's my 2 cents on WoW, I don't think WoW is causeing your crashes but watch for these as well as your heat.

WoW uses a lot of ram, in the range of 512 to 900MB. Especially close after release, there's a lot of people running around the world. When you exit make sure you're not in a big city, I've had it take me 5-15 tries to log in after game crashes when i'm in a city because of the amount of stuff there. I don't know if they fixed the bug for that, it was a nasty bug in beta.

Back