• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.58v too much 24/7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mustrum

I'm running a 3000+ winnie at 2.6ghz and it seems to need 1,58 for absolute 100% stability. I run it like that since Sept. 04 and never even thought about it much. :D
The CPU is watercooled and idles at 34 but loads up to 52 degrees under Prime (Using a decent cooler with a watertemp of 26 degrees celsius - i am doubting the temp my MSI is reporting. 26 degrees Watertemp and 52 CPU temp ??? )

I never had any issues so far but some dude on another forum called me a lunatic for running at such an insane voltage 24/7.
I do know that it is no insane voltage and ppl go much higher but how is it with 24/7 usage?

I don't plan to use this CPU over years but i'd prefer to keep et for another year if possible. :D

1.6v is fine on a winnie. I dunno what that guy is talking about. 1.7 would be a little much on a winnie on air but 1.58v is perfectly fine on water. Its well within the limits of the CPU.

Last edited:
Moto7451 said:
1.6v is fine on a winnie. I dunno what that guy is talking about. 1.7 would be a little much on a winnie on air but 1.58v is perfectly fine on water. Its well within the limits of the CPU.
:thup:

To some people overvolting period is too much..there are a good number of people who run 1.7 on air....You're the judge though. IMO...you've still got some room to go :cool:

Quite trew N3b. I've talked to a few people who think I'm asking for trouble because I'm running 2v VCore on my XP. Others have told me to see what 2.1v does for me (& I've tried it & it doesn't help that much).

Yeah i don't know what that dude is saying your crazy for... 1.6 or even 1.7v is perfectly fine for your CPU. As long as your temps are decent (<55c) then your fine.

1.7 is pushing it on a winchester for air/water. i wouldnt go past 1.63-1.65 for longevity of the cpu, on air/water.

1.65v 24/7 air cooled

temps are a little below average for my setup...keeps the temps low enough and you might give 1.65v a try and see if it helps your OC any...

i keep mine at 1.65 24/7 I had it at 1.7 for a week but saw no more re****s over 1.65. Im on a water setup and same board as u and my temps are 33 idle 47 -50 load (weather depending). I ran my barton 2500 at 2.0-2.1 volts for almost 2 years and i sold it to someone knowing that is a rock solid cpu. SOO if my winnie only last 2 years from over 1.6 vcore then oh-well, i seriously doubt ill have this cpu that long anyway, and when venice comes out im cranking this baby to 1.75 just to see how high it may have been able to go.

Thanks for all the answers guys. I'll let it where it is then. It's rockstable and performs like crazy. This CPU still amazes me since it was so cheap.

Edit: About the temps: I reseated it twice allready and tried different pressure. Using AS5. I really think that only a HS removal would help to get lower but that's a bit risky for a few degrees i think.

i wouldn't bother mustrum, there is a well known problem with the temp reporting of the MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum. I get pretty much the same temps as you and i know it's wrong. heck, i don't even bother to monitor the temps anymore. :shrug:

Scar said:
i wouldn't bother mustrum, there is a well known problem with the temp reporting of the MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum. I get pretty much the same temps as you and i know it's wrong. heck, i don't even bother to monitor the temps anymore. :shrug:
Yeah i read that the board reads out pretty messy. It's quite a buggy board in general but it's a damn good OCer wich is what counts. :D

Lot of times you gotta push a Winnie to 1.6 and a Claw to 1.7 to get it to do anything you'd be happy with.

Reminds me of the P4 guys where they say max is 1.65. Well if you can hit 4 gig or 300 fsb at 1.7, I doubt many would defer . . .

Back