• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my buddys ancient P3, help plz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey,

My friend has this old computer that was made for them, so I'm pretty sure I could OC it, the case luckilly has a front 80mm intake and a pl;ace for a 80mm exhaust in the back. I figure if we put fans in there it should take care of cooling as long as we dont OC to much.

I think its a 400 MHz P3, pretty slow. How much do you think we could OC it to?

To OC i need to go in the bios do i have to change the multiplier or is that locked? OR do I have to make the FSB higher? And should I increase the voltage???

I need a bit of help on this plz. :shrug: :rolleyes:

thanks. :cool:

First, you need to figure out what motherboard and CPU you have. Maybe start with CPU-Z. Intel never made a 400 P-III. Multiplier will be locked, so you have to raise FSB. See if the BIOS has settings to change the FSB.

450 was lowest P3 but I could be crazy.

if 4.5x100 then 4.5x133 would rock.

6x100s all did 6x133 for 800mhz which is a nice stable increase.

If it's a 400, then it's a P-II. The first P-III processors were Katmai cores and they didn't O/C that well, especially compared to the later Coppermine. If it's a Kat, then if you hit anything close to 600 MHz, you are doing very good.

Katmai's were lucky to make it past 75MHz on the overclock. I agree with Batboy, if you make anywhere to 600MHz overclock on a Katmai you are doing well. They also ran extremely hot from a 2.0V core.

The PIII 600's that were coppermine would usually easily make it to 800MHz and often higher.

The Pentium 2 Deschutes or Katmai 400mhz is likely what you have or perhaps an ES PIII on the 4 X multiplier. Possibly the other chance might be that you have a low voltage PIII 400 (made for notebooks) fitted to a converter that deals with the voltage inability of the motherboard. Possible but unlikely.

Best bet is a Katmai or Deschutes PII and both do not overclock all that well. You can easily tell as the Deschutes and Katmai have a 512K cache off chip running at 1/2 system bus.

R

Back