• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need o/c advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

I figured since I know 190x10 (1900mhz) is stable on my nf7-s v2, I'd do 200x9.5 (1900mhz). I didn't expect and problems, however the mushkin pc3200 ram I have generates errors in memtest86+ v1.55. Test #4 generated 1000s. I stopped the test and upped the ram voltage 0.1v and ran the tests again. no errors in #4 but then #5 generated 60 errors. Upping the ram voltage 0.1v more doesn't make a difference and test #5 still generates errors. Considering the fact that pc3200 ran is designed to run at 200(400) fsb I find this peculiar. So I turn to all ya'll that are more experienced than I for advice on what to do.

Thanks

by chipset you mean the northbridge? If so I'll wait until my zalman NB HS arrives.

will do. i should have the NB HS in a few days. I'm not sure i'm comfortable upping its voltage without it.

by running the .5 multi, you are putting another memory divider on your ram. If you were running a multi x10, and no divider (1:1) you would be running slower than pc3200 speeds. With the .5 multi, you are probably running the ram at 170 speeds. I have been using the .5 multi for my cpu and have noticed that it does add an extra divider. I wouldn't think that the ram would error out if it was running slower than it's rated speed. I could be wrong.

tytlyf said:
by running the .5 multi, you are putting another memory divider on your ram. If you were running a multi x10, and no divider (1:1) you would be running slower than pc3200 speeds. With the .5 multi, you are probably running the ram at 170 speeds. I have been using the .5 multi for my cpu and have noticed that it does add an extra divider. I wouldn't think that the ram would error out if it was running slower than it's rated speed. I could be wrong.

I'm not sure i follow your logic here. fsb at 200 means that the ram is also running at 200(400) fsb. Which is both confirmed by the 1st screen when it says the cpu and ram information and also by memtest86+. Both list the ram running at 200(400). Since the ram is pc3200 I expected no errors since its intended to run at that speed. I have the fsb:dram ratio set to auto but I fail to see how the cpu multipier has anything to do with it.

A .5 Multi does NOT add a Ram divider. The ram divider is something different you need to set in the BIOS. The Multi just gets multiplied by the FSB to form the Clock speed of the chip.

mudpark41 thats what i thought. tytlyf could you explain better what you are saying. I haven't done any ram tweeking yet but i'm not sure if it will take much tweeking. i have the HS so I'll find out shortly if upping the NB voltage corrects the issue.

well, i learned this because i have value ram. I am running at 282x8.5, 166 divider, and my fsb is at 218. If i was running at 267x9, which is the same speed (2400) with the same divider, it would still be around 218. So using the same divider (166), you can see that the fsb of 282, is running the same speed as the fsb 267. It adds another divider. But in my case it's beneficial because I can use the higher fsb with my HTT multi, and get a better HTT. So the conclusion is, how does a 282 fsb and a 267 fsb setting equal the same ram speed?.....the .5 multi.

282x8.5 = fsb 218 (166 divider)
267x9 = fsb 218 (166 divider)
how do 2 different fsb speeds equal the same, the .5 multi. As you can see, the 282 with the 166 divider, should be around 228 or something ram speed. I know what i'm talking about.

tytlyf the nf7-s v2 doesn't appear have HTT and I don't see any divider settings either. the only thing I see is fsb:dram ratio and it is set to auto and the system boots with the ram at the same as the fsb. i guess I'm failing to follow how your example applies to why the ram generates errors at a fsb it is designed to run at.

when i run a memtest, it shows that my speed is higher than the speed its running. My value ram doesn't run higher than 220, figure this out.. if i run 282x8.5 with a 166 divider, my ram should be running alot higher than 220. Fortunately, the .5 multi adds another divider to help me run better overall oc's. It might not be good for all people, but it is for me cause i have a limited amount of memory OC.

edit: this isn't a setting you choose, the .5 multi auto's it. Use cpu-z to see what im talking about. I used to have an amd memory calculator, a simple program, that i used to find out my settings. The .5 multi does one thing, it changes your memory timings at certain speeds.

ok when I get home tonight I'll change the cpu settings to 200x9.5 and boot the os to take a look in cpuz. Where should I be looking to see what you are refering to? Should I be forcing the fsb:dram ratio? Instead of having it set to auto? Althought its some sort of 1:1 2:2 etc because the fsb on the ram is the same as the CPU according to all the methods I have of checking that.

Thanks all for your help so far. I will also be putting the NB HS on tonight.

always for settings, i do. It depends what you are trying to do, shoot me some numbers of what you are trying to accomplish.

As stated I'm want to do 200x9.5 (1900mhz) @ 1.775v. I've been running the CPU at 190x10 (1900mhz) @ 1.775v for a long time stable on my KD7-raid and now on the NF7-S v2, with fsb:dram ratio set to auto. Initial screen, sisoft, memtest86+ reports ram at 190(280) for 190x10. And I know for sure the initial screen shows 200(400) for 200x9.5. I'll check sisoft and memtest86+ when I get home. But I would think that the info on the initial screen to be accurate. The ram is mushkin pc3200 and is set to optimal in the bios and is reported there, memtest86+, and sisoft to be running at 2.5,3,3,8 timings.

I feel kind of foolish. I was messing around with AGP frequency just to see how it effected video card performance. Not realizing it would have an effect on o/c. Reading some posts over in the section for video cards I saw a few posts stating this. So anyways realizing I hadn't returned AGP back to 66 I did so and then tested 200x9.5 and ram now tests without error and I am proceeding to run prime95 to test system stability.

here are the cpuz screens just in case you wanted to see them.

Attachments

• cpuz1.jpg
    cpuz1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 20
  • cpuz2.jpg
    cpuz2.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 17
Back