• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

perfectturmoil

So.. For the dually crowd, what would you choose? I am at a crossroads.. not really sure which direction I am going..

The "other stuff":
Antec 3700B
Sparkle 550watt eps12v
4x160gb Seagate's in RAID 0+1
2 Liteon CD drives
HDA Mystique 7.1 soundcard -> swans m200
Watercooling (g4's or 6002's, 1 or 2 BIX120mm, depending on space)

So.. which system would you choose to house those accessories?

NCCH-DL w/ 2x2.4ghz M0 Xeons (at lets say.. 3.6ghz) , 2x1gb ram (either Corsair TwinX XMS if the price comes back down, or OCZ peroformance) , eVga 6800ultra.

or..

K8N-DL w/ 2xOpteron 244 or 246 (lets say.. 2.4ghz) , 2x512mb ram (OCZ server memory) , X800pro? xt? something around 300 bucks..

My path was going to be the NCCH-DL for a long time. I figured I could upgrade down the road to noconas (or maybe even dual core if they make it backwards compatible) when they get cheap. After that, I planned to jump over to opteron, assuming that the options over there were good.

Now, however, I am at a turning point - it seems that I could pretty easily just not get an NCCH-DL, sell my M0's, change videocards, and get different ram. I could sell my m0's for what I paid, and for another 100 or so find a deal on opterons (or get lower performing opterons for a closer price) I would loose about 50 bucks or so on the motherboard, and gain about 50-100 on the ram (although I would have less for a while, until I just pop some more in down the road for some numa goodness). I'd just sell my videocard, and buy something for the price I can get.

So.. what would you guys do? With this computer, I mostly read ocforums :-] I also do some audio recording (probably in favor of the xeons) and I game (probably in favor of the opterons). Either system will probably suit me fine for all three activities (although I have from time to time opened up 3 ocforum windows.. I think that hyperthreading really helped ;-] )

Whats the verdict? Which is the cooler system? :-]

Ooooo tuff choice.

Personally I'm for AMD systems, but how much recording do you do?

What would be cheaper on ur wallet? (if that figuresin at all)

:cool:

WarriorII said:
Ooooo tuff choice.

Personally I'm for AMD systems, but how much recording do you do?

What would be cheaper on ur wallet? (if that figuresin at all)

:cool:

The Xeon would be a bit cheaper and a bit easier, but I'm not really considering price right now (cause its slight). I don't do a TON of recording, but I do do it. I do more gaming. Both systems will satisfy me with regards to gaming.

With the Opterons you would have the option of installing a 64-bit operating system whereas the Xeons would not unless you got the Nocona Xeons. Don't know if that's important to you. Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't know much about Xeons.

Beavis said:
With the Opterons you would have the option of installing a 64-bit operating system whereas the Xeons would not unless you got the Nocona Xeons. Don't know if that's important to you. Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't know much about Xeons.

That is correct. That is one of the reasons I plan(ed) to upgrade to the NCCH-DL - to be able to be compatible with XP64 and Longhorn. That would be a later on addition... once there are some decent oc'ing noconas for cheap, pop a few in..

With the opterons, I can upgrade whenever the hell I want. Oh decisions decisions...

Still wondering what other people would do.

Back