• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a new PSU fry my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I am considering getting a more powerful PSU in order to make a new video card happy power wise, but I need to know if getting, say, a 400W supply with a few more amps on the 12V rail - or on any of them for that matter (like a Bluestorm) - will kill my system.

My current PSU, a V Power ATX 400W has 17A on the 12V rail, 40A on the 5V and 26A on the 3.3. It has max ratings of 220W on 3.3 and 5, and 204W on 12.

My M/B is an Intel D865PERL (I'm guessing that's how I'd describe it) with a 3.2Ghz HT P4, and is not quite a year old.

I am looking at a couple of cards that say they have to be connected to the PSU for their power, but I would hate to think that by adding amps that I would fry the whole thing. Do I have anything to worry about?

Please advise me... :shrug:

i think u got the whole thing wrong.

when a psu says its got more amps.. it means its got more amps to put thoght the system. most new hardware.. takes alot of power, and amps.

getting a new psu will not blow your computer up.

infact..i donno how your computer is useing what its got right now.
imo get a 480 watt ..or something like

otho this is not the best psu u can get, its from a good brand ..and compared to the one u got..day and night. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104154

Amp * voltage = watt.. A FSP AX500, Seasonic s-12, Sparkle and ocz powerstream 520 is a good choice according to our PSU gurus Larva and Oklahoma foremost the FSP for cheap alternative.

//Christian

Back