• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Measuring cpu voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

Hi guys,

First off, let me say that I joined these forums about a year and a half ago, knowing very little about hardware. After 8 months of reading posts in here every day, I learned how to build my own water cooled rig, and it has run extremely well since. I have been away (mostly enjoying the rig playing CS and Wow) and missed this community in the past year, you guys are really great and I have learned tremendously from all of you (and hopefully contributed some back). :)

This brings me to my question. I am running the cpu in my sig and I am now willing to bring the voltage up to 1.8v and try to get some more juice out of her. I have read that cpu-z does not offer an accurate measurement of actual vcore. I do not have many tools to measure the actual vcore physically. What is the best means to measure my vcore from the OS and how do you take a final measurement when there is variation (fluctuates by +/- 0.4v in SmartGuardian for example) ? Should I be more concerned with not seeing any fluctuation over 1.8v, or not seeing any fluctuation under that level?

Why not check in the bios hardware monitor. IT should give you an idea of how good your vcore is.

And fluctuation is normal. I have had boards fo -+0.2 even though thats bad... Yours is decent.

Cheator said:
Why not check in the bios hardware monitor. IT should give you an idea of how good your vcore is.

And fluctuation is normal. I have had boards fo -+0.2 even though thats bad... Yours is decent.

My cpu voltage can be set using either the CPU VID control (say 1.5v) and a % multiplier (vcore * 110%), etc. I can use this to approximate a value for my vcore. Should I take the resulting number as my true vcore? I guess I am wondering to what degree I should trust my bios on Vcore as temps often appear to be off in the bios.

Back