• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

510 SLI died on me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meathead

I can't tell if its my motherboard or my PSU thats dead. When I turn the PSU on, none of the motherboard lights come on. I do not have an extra PSU to test with but all the rails look dead to me. Reads 0 on the DMM. The problem is, I've never had to test for a dead DMM so can I just turn the PSU switch on and try to measure the rails or will they not have any power to them anyways?

BTW If it is my PSU, this will be the 2nd time I've ever seen a pcp&c die on someone.

Last edited:
If you live next to a non-corporate computer shop many of them will test your psu for free. I'm not sure how accurate those little led-psu-testy-thingies are, but I bet they will do it for free. Also I believe you can check the voltages with a multimeter. I don't really know how to test a mobo, maybe you're shorting it? Put it on cardboard and see if that works. Wish ya' luck.

The little PSU tester dongle is probably only good for checking all of the rail. It has very little load so some fubared PSU may seem to work OK but choke under higher load. Also I don't know how the dongle determinds normal voltage since it only has resistors and LED so for all it's worth it'd all light up even if your 12v rail is way undervolted.

I'd get a known good power supply and test the PC with it. If it still won't boot up, assume you got a mobo problem. If it does boot up fine, assume the original PSU is dead.

No I don't. I'm thinking of taking it to a local PC shop to get it tested if they do it for free. Otherwise I'm just gonna eni-meni-mini-mo with my RMA :).

to test the psu (unloaded):
take a small bit of wire, paperclip, anything metal and connect the pins with a green wire and any black wire on the 20 or 24-pin connector. this will turn the psu on. proceed to check rails with dmm.

I was lazy and took it to a local PC shop. The power supply is infact dead and pcp&c just asked for my name and zip code and they are cross shipping me a new powersupply as we speak.

PC P&C is having some issues realted to a bad componet in a certain number of PSU's that were shipped out. I read this another reply that OKWolf posted. Can't remember which component was bad, but it was a critical component.

If anyone has one of these and sees this thread, just give them a call or e them and they'll get you fixed up. If the PSU is DOA they will x-ship you one as replacement. They have good warranty service.

3DFlyer said:
Can't remember which component was bad, but it was a critical component.

Defective or undersized coil. This issue is actually several months old, but once in a while one of the bad units still turns up. Haven't heard a single bad thing about PC P&C's responses to those having problems ;)

Yea I asked the rep I talked to how I could find out what went wrong with my PSU and he said the second they find out I'll get a phonecall/email. I'll post back here when I find out.

When did you buy your P&C 510 SLI?

I just bought (two days ago)a P&C 510 SLI and installed it in a Lian Li, ASUS A8N SLI Premium with five HDs, DVD, and ONE ASUS 7800 video card that has it own PS. The specs in the manual say I would be right on the edge of having enough juice if I had two cards. I'm hoping the lack of a second card will allow me to have all those hard drives.
This is a great post. If something goes I won't be so freaked out. They are supposed to be a very highly regarded company and have a rep for very high quality according to this site. I noticed you posted on 10/23.

If they don't know what the problem is they probably haven't fixed it yet.
Thanks for the good info
Jim Ratchford

Back