• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

if I get a job...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan Derrig

Since I turned 15, and the people here sometimes hire 15 year olds, I'm looking to get a new CPU and graphics card. I already decided on a 6800GS, the CPU is undecided.
How is it having dual core CPU's? Under linux, would doom 3 or quake 4 show any improvement? What about FEAR under windows? My current CPU is a Venice at 2.4ghz. I'm sure I could get the 3800+ X2 to that speed, so would the 2.4ghz manchester be as good as the 2.4ghz venice?
How about an Opteron 1.8ghz 1xx series? (dont remember precisely, think it's 170)

You won't notice an improvement unless the game is written to have SMP in mind. I believe Doom is written, but not so sure about FEAR. SMP really isn't made for gaming persay, but more towards multitasking. Your CPU right now seems to be pretty good. Get a kick *** graphics card, more ram and call it a day. :)

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. My friend got a 3800 X2 and it's not at all better than my venice.
For the price of a 3800X2 and a 6800 GS I could buy better memory than my broken valueram and a nice 7800GTX. Hmm, I'll stick with my single core.

Thanks,
Dan

Scott9027 said:
If you're just gaming, sticking with the Venice would be a good idea.

Yeah.. you are definatly going to benefit from a better video card.. get a 6800ultra or 7800gt or something.. Then save a few dollars.. wait till your boss gives you a raise, then buy an Opteron 175 (or whatever new awesome OC'er comes out). By then, prices may have dropped again as socket M2 approaches and the market starts to hold out for the new goods :- ]

F.E.A.R. has SMP support I believe. SO multiple CPUs will improve your performance (if you video card is good enough of course)

And I do remember reading something about doom3 engine having it aswell.

OkydOky said:
F.E.A.R. has SMP support I believe. SO multiple CPUs will improve your performance (if you video card is good enough of course)

And I do remember reading something about doom3 engine having it aswell.

Yes, you are correct. :D

Back