• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your server set-up (with pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oroka Sempai

What do you all have hidden away somewhere?

I have a Celeron 400mhz, 128mb PC133 SDRAM, and a 10gb HDD. I had a 40gb secondary, but it is being weird, so I ordered a new 250gb HDD today. The system is a old HP Pavilon 6537 I got off my GFs parents when I built them a new system. It has Windows XP Pro SP2 on it, with all the visual goodies turned off. Runs pretty good for a system that is pushing 8 years old :D

I replaced the light switch in my closet to one with a power outlet and a switch. There is no monitor, mouse, or keyboard, and it has a wireless nic. I control it with remote desktop.

I use it mostly as a image host for forums, but I also host files for friends, and occasionally use it to develop websites. I have Apache server installed, and bulletproof FTP server. It has been running in this state since eairly september.

100_1679.jpg

What about yours?

Last edited:
I will try to get pics up of mine, but it is as follows.

Dual Celeron 500Mhz
384MB PC100
20GB HD

I use it as a domain controller with my full copy of Win 2K Enterprise Server that I got in college for free, along with a full copy of Exchange 2003 from college. I use it to host a couple of domains, Email, Remote access stuff, FTP, HTTP, and also local file storage. It has been running 24/7 for 2 years now.

In my sig..the 'My servers'

I recently added another 300 gb to the file server next to the 120 gb.

The updated pics are on the second page

Ill try and get some new pics up here soon

Last edited:
First one is my Slackware web server Duel P3 512mb ram 40 and 10 gig HD.
111_1176.jpg

Nokia ip330 running Smoothwall
111_1166.jpg

Last edited:
PLOBBY said:
In my sig..the 'My servers'

I recently added another 300 gb to the file server next to the 120 gb.

The updated pics are on the second page

Ill try and get some new pics up here soon

Hey, yeah, I read your thread a good while back. With this big HDD comming for me, I might want to use it as a file server, I just have to improve the transfer of my wifi network. I am not even sure how to test the network bandwidth... :eh?:

I just got an old comp I am using as a SageTV server. Beats paying $300 for a DVR, plus I can watch TV anywhere I want on my laptop.

P4 1.5ghz
512mb ram
nvidia 4400
120GB HDD
Lite-On dvd rom
Hauppaugue PVR-150

Total cost was $45 for the tv tuner, the HDD and DVD I had laying around, the rest I got off a friend for free.

Oroka Sempai said:
Hey, yeah, I read your thread a good while back. With this big HDD comming for me, I might want to use it as a file server, I just have to improve the transfer of my wifi network. I am not even sure how to test the network bandwidth... :eh?:

What kind of wireless router do you have? I remember in the internet and networking section there being either a way or some tool to test network bandwith. But yeah, I love the file server, it comes in handy a lot for just moving files from computer to computer and storing all my stuff, mainly my music.

MVC-643F.JPG

You know Plobby, I have the same type of area under my stairs as well. I have looked hard at putting the area to good use, and I really like how your's looks.

servers.jpg
Top right is my fileserver and mail server, Osaka (Gentoo).
Bottom right is my firewall, Ayu (Gentoo).
Left is my main box, Ponycanon (Kubuntu).
There's also my cable modem, wireless access point, switch, coax surge protector and UPS. The wiring looks a little hectic, but it does make sense, data cables lie around the outside, power cables are on the inside area.. everything is velcro-tied together, and has enough slack that it's manageable.

pvr.jpg
This is my PVR, Momiji (Knoppmyth). The TV didn't turn out well in the photo, it's actually a clear picture.. guess the refresh rate isn't playing nice with my camera.
My stereo is below, with the center speaker in view. This also doubled as my Christmas tree this year.

PLOBBY said:
What kind of wireless router do you have? I remember in the internet and networking section there being either a way or some tool to test network bandwith. But yeah, I love the file server, it comes in handy a lot for just moving files from computer to computer and storing all my stuff, mainly my music.

I have a Netgear WGT624. Next time I am buying something with twin removeable antenna... I am dying to try some power boosting mods. My computer is using a Trendnet TEW-423PI 802.11g, as does my server. I have a D-Link DWL-G510 in my closet as a spare. I think I need to try using the trendnet connection software, I am using the Windows app, and it occasionally disconnects me cause it is always scanning for new networks.

A file server would be a big asset. My dad has this craze about not using DVDs, and he rips all his DVDs and stores them on his computer, a central server for those would be great. He never watches TV, he just buys TV series on DVD, mainly cause he hates commercials :rolleyes:

Oroka Sempai said:
A file server would be a big asset. My dad has this craze about not using DVDs, and he rips all his DVDs and stores them on his computer, a central server for those would be great. He never watches TV, he just buys TV series on DVD, mainly cause he hates commercials :rolleyes:
Build him a PVR... automatic commercial skipping > *

(except on crappy stations, which mark it after the sponsor's commercial, or on ones that I get very horrible signal from, mainly US stations, where the signal sucks and it doesn't detect the start or end of the commercial all the time)

My server type thing consists of:
- Asus P5GDC (i915)
- intel 330J (Celeron 2.66)
- 512MB
- 80GB OS & Apps
- Promise S150 SX4 w/256MB PC133ECC CL2
- 4x 200GB RAID 5
- Video is handled by an X700pro with a 20" SDTV
- Sound is handled by the onboard CMI9880 DDLive!, and passed via coax to my Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver
- Ethernet is handled by the onboard gigabit PCIe Marvell Yukon, linked to an eight port Linksys gigabit switch
- MS bluetooth keyboard and mouse, which I picked up refurbished for ~CDN$30

img44225bm.jpg

It spends most of its time serving files to my workstation(s), playing music, and running Cerberus FTP server so I can retrieve my files remotely and my dad can back up his business stuff and digipics off-site (as he lives 2~3hrs away). I threw the X700pro in for when a friend comes over and we want to do some gaming. At the resolution the TV supports (800x600) the thing games fine. A small APC UPS allows it to shut down properly if the power goes out. It's been running 24/7 for a little over a year now.

For printing I've got an HP 1320N, with an internal JetDirect print server. 133mhz, 144MB ram. It's a little overkill, but when I have to print out 200 page reports I love it.

1320n6wl.gif

Im currently in the procress of upgrading, but is here is my new one that is gonna be up soon when I get a mobo ordered

2ghz Pentium 4 northwood
512 megs of ram
80 gig WD
and a plextor cd burner

except for the burner, its all remains of a dead dell 4550. The motherboard died, so I h ave to get a cheapie on the egg. It will run win server 2k3, and store all of my dvds, videos, pictures and whatever else. I will eventually get a bigger hard drive. but for now, the 80 gig will do. I will probally mildly oc it, for folding that is. lol

it replaces my current server

PIII slot 1 533@715 using a clock gen
some asus board with a hp bios
768mb of pc 133
some pos case
windows server 2k3

I will have a pic of it up when i get home from school

EDIT: pictures. yay!

insides.jpg
Ghettoriggedserver.jpg

It nomrally dosent have that fan like that, I was just trying to see how far i could get it oc'ed. lol Like i said, this is out of commision. all the data has been pulled off the hard drive in preparation for my new server. woot

Last edited:
Here's the server just after building it (stats in sig):
18.JPG

It's a K8N-DL with only one opteron for now. When I get fiber (and I WILL get fiber one day damnit! :p) I'll be running two games, and at that point I'll upgrade to 2 CPUs. Right now it's just hosting CoD for my clan. I'll take a picture of the rack later, where the server currently resides.

Just make sure that 4550 doesn't have one of those proprietary Dell power supplies with a different pin-out that kills regular motherboards...

JCLW said:
Just make sure that 4550 doesn't have one of those proprietary Dell power supplies with a different pin-out that kills regular motherboards...
I believe the 4550 power supply is missing the -5v line. Just FYI. I had to replace one recently and I believe that is what was missing.

Oroka Sempai said:
I have a Netgear WGT624. Next time I am buying something with twin removeable antenna... I am dying to try some power boosting mods. My computer is using a Trendnet TEW-423PI 802.11g, as does my server. I have a D-Link DWL-G510 in my closet as a spare. I think I need to try using the trendnet connection software, I am using the Windows app, and it occasionally disconnects me cause it is always scanning for new networks.

The whole wireless thing and transferring files, you cant really do much about it and speeding it up....I have every computer on my network (total of 8 occasionally 9) hardwired except the two laptops and my moms which is on the top floor. But wire anything you can if it you can find a central location to wire everything, it really helps with speeds....

I want to build a faster file server what would you guys recommend buying for a faster computer for a file server for around $400.

CPU
Mobo
PSU
Ram

Just something faster, because this thing is starting to get reallllly slow.

PLOBBY said:
I want to build a faster file server what would you guys recommend buying for a faster computer for a file server
If it's only going to store and move files, then you don't need a hefty CPU, RAM only really becomes important if you have lots of users, you generally want a big PSU (more disks, more power required). Besides that, throw the money into harddrives, good controller cards or RAID cards, and a decent case with good ventilation and air flow (harddrives heat up).

server.jpg

Found that case in the trash. :p

Specs: MSI Ati-based 939 board, A64 3200+, 2x 512mb PC2700, 80gb hard drive, X700pro (for lack of something better to do with it), 350w Sparkle psu.

Usually, I host a game server, teamspeak server, Folding@Home, and whatever else I might feel like having on at the time. Occasionally, I download my Anime on the server, depending on what I'm doing with my main rig and where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back