• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western digital in raid0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I got a western digital 250gig sata 16meg cache, and I think its terribly slow. I am wondering, if I got a second drive and did a raid0 if it would speed things up. Anyone got any benchmarks. I can also do western digital 120gig in raid0, which i currently own.
Thanks

RAID0 on desktops has been debated for a while here, and the general consensus is that it doesn't help compared to a single disk of the same type, it just doesn't help in real-world stuff.

What it DOES help a lot is servers which need to feed several different I/O's at once.

What exactly do you use your computer for?

As jcw122 said, RAID-0 does not help at all in most situations. In fact, for gamers RAID-0 can negatively impact performance.

Hmm, I wonder if RAID0 would help if you were like, doing something that takes up alot of HDD work, and gaming at the same time...LOL That would be really dumb, but I'm still curious.

I think that raid may affect my access times, but increase my throughput.
Thanks

Rattle said:
raid 0 is awesome for gaming, always the first one in a new map and load times are sweet....

I'm going to have to agree with that. Take my setup. I had a single WD 120gb PATA. Not that fast. But when I bought a second one and converted then to SATA and put them in RAID 0, I noticed a huge speed increase. I will never go back to non-RAID again.

Different controllers can yeild vastly different RAID performance.

I have four drives in RAID 0, and don't take any access time hit.

I find RAID 0 noticably speeds up multitasking. That's the only real reason I use it, as I rarely play multiplayer games.

I can give you some RAID 0 benchmarks, but without anything to compare against they don't mean much.

I'd have to agree with JCLW about the controllers. Most motherboards don't have true raid controllers. They use software based raid controllers which use computer resources. If you get a good raid card your going to have much better throughput.

Back