• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me get 1700mhz!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyE

Ok, I'm having trouble getting to 1700mhz (my goal) with my new stuff. See if you can help me out. Heres my specs:

Athlon XP 1700 AGKGA Y
Epox 8KHA+
256meg Crucial pc2100
Geforce256 64meg ddr
40gig 7200rpm ata100 Western Digital hd
1.44 floppy
3Com NIC
Sb live! 5.1
TDK 12x/10x/32x burner
52x cdrom
sk6 w/ 40cfm ys-tech
300w sparkle psu

At 1606mhz (11x146) I am rock stable - 3dmark2k1, q3, cs, sandra stuff, prime95 all work. Temps are pretty good too, 33c idle, 39c load.
Voltages for 5v are 4.80-4.95 and for 12v 11.80-11.90 during load.

At 1650mhz (11x150) I usually post and boot, but sometimes I get no video and sometimes I will get an error when win2k is loading. I am pretty stablein windows, everything works, but prime gets errors but doesnt crash. Temps and voltages are about the same.

At 151-154 fsb its pretty much the same as above.

At 155 fsb, I can post about 70% of the time, but while loading windows it freezes or gets an error or something. I can idle in the bios for as long as I want.

So, do I need a new powersupply? My guess is when my 5v goes too low and can't supply enough power to hd or something? I heard antec and enermax are good but I also herad enermax and epox dont mix. I was at compusa today and saw that they have a compusa brand psu 400w for $60. Anyone have any experience with them? Any comments/suggestions are welcome. I will take everything into consideration.
Thanks.

If I were you I would drop the multiplier down to 10 then set the fsb to 150. If your system wont run prime 95 at that setting then its probably your memory. Raise the memory voltage to 2.7 and try.
If it runs fine at that setting then its probably the cpu not liking the mhz. Raise the cpu voltage and try at a higher multiplier.

If your cpu is locked just try raising the memory voltage 1st then the cpu.

Post back after you try this with your results.

I would go with a Sparkle or Antec 400W...the Antec is excellent with my 8K7A+. CompUSA brand I wouldn't trust. I actually have a 400W from there and while it does well with my VP6, the 12V is kind've low so I'm not sure the amps are going to be what you need despite its rating.

I get the same problem you have when trying for 1.7GHz on my 1.4GHz TBird. 1.66GHz stable as can be but can't nudge it any further. My memory is total crap too so I'm hoping the 512MB from Crucial I ordered fixes it up.

Temps and everything else look good to me but if you 5V rail is hitting as low as 4.80V, you've got a big problem my friend. Mine goes south a little, but never below 4.92V under load on a 300W Antec.

It's also possible you're hitting the limit on your CPU or memory...hard to tell at this point. More voltage one way or the other could possibly help, although with those low rail voltages, I don't know where you're going to get it from.

I could probably borrow some of my friends psus. One has a 300w antec, one has a 330w enermax. One has a 300w fortron source and he just ordered a 450w enermax. I tried raising my memvoltage to 2.7 and even 2.8 (I'm not worried too much about lots of voltage to ram because I have the ddr heatspreaders) but prime still errors at 150fsb (it says something like the rounding was wrong or something.) I don't think its my memory because everyone I've seen with crucial can hit 150fsb cas2 easy.

Also a side note: in sandra, my 3.3v reading says 1.52v. Is that normal??

My +5sb shows 1.56v but the +3.3 shows 3.42v.
I cant get my xp 1800 to go 1 mhz over 148 x11.5. and to get that 100% stable I had to raise my vcore to 2.07.
I really need to unlock this cpu :(

Back