• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI latency tool...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chum

From reading around on this forum, I discovered the PCI latency tweak that some are recommending...
How many of you AGP guys are changing your latency?
What pros/cons are their to doing it?
My GPU was hogging the bus at 248 (too high according to some, recommended is 64). I changed it to 64...will report any benefits or problems as they come up.

i use nf2 tweaker for my nf7.

pci latency/agp controller and agp latency or set at 255.

I'm using it. I set it to 64 which was the same latency as that reported for the chipsets AGP controller. I figured if the chipset is running at 64 why in gods name would they have the latency cranked up to 248... high latencies are bad. I have noticed snappier FPS recovery rates, higher benching, and smoother ruuning in my flight sims. I had one simulator that had the stutters every once in awhile...the latency tool cured that issue.

Aw, BTW, I'm running a P4 3.2E at 3.7 to 3.920 depending on the simulation, Abit IC7-G, Corsair XMS 1GB kit 2.5-3-3-7 1:1 or 5:4 when running above 3.7, AGP Chaintech 6800GT modded, flashed, 1.4v perf. 3D, 430/1140, 2xWD1600JD's in RAID 0 via Intel ICH5R, OCZ520ADJ

I tried to check my latency with that PCI Latency Tool from 3dguru.com, but it shows no 'display adapter' when I run the app... anybody know wtf is up?

Cheers.

HI,

I would like to know if thes PCI latency thing also applies for PCEe graphics cards.

I read somewhere (not sure if in this forum or at guru3d) that you should set the PCI latency to 64 for all PCI devices.
But, does that really mean all??? there are quite a few like PCI bridge, IDE interface, USB controller, memory controller etc.
When I run PCI Latecy Tool, all the latencies are zero, except the FireWire thing at 32.

Is all that OK?

thanks
PietPara

pietpara said:
HI,

I would like to know if thes PCI latency thing also applies for PCEe graphics cards.

Nope. Just agp-bus and PCI cards.

I read somewhere (not sure if in this forum or at guru3d) that you should set the PCI latency to 64 for all PCI devices.
But, does that really mean all??? there are quite a few like PCI bridge, IDE interface, USB controller, memory controller etc.
When I run PCI Latecy Tool, all the latencies are zero, except the FireWire thing at 32.

Is all that OK?

Yeah, it's fine. Apparently anything that's set at 0 by default should stay at 0. 64 is a good number for PCI devices. Gives them enough access to the PCI bus without hindering performance. I experienced more popping and hissing with my Audigy 1 when I set it to 32 than when I set it to 64 at any rate (hated that card anyways though).

Back