• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp to high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liarsenic

Hey. Just registered here, been reading the guides for about a week, great help. Well, my question is, I overclocked my AMD 3000+ Venice to 2.5GHZ and when I use temp monitors my temp comes in at 68 degrees celcius. Ill be getting a Zalman CNPS9500-LED but not for atleast a month. How safe is it to stay at this temp?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot.

Well, its very high indeed too high for comfort actually.
I would run the CPU at stock until you get a new HSF or at least improve the case air flow for now.
Also open the case and see if it improves the temps.

Yeah the case ahs the worst airflow. Im ordering a thermaltake saprano soon too unless anyone can sugest otherwise. ill open the case now and see what happens. Btw its 67 while running Prime95 torture tests not just idle

Edit: Took the sidepanel off and its dropped to 63-64 not the best change. Nothing left but to restore it to factory? Its only 3 days old and i dont want to break it just yet

Edit 2: Idle temp is 46

Last edited:
What is your room temprature? Still summer there?

The difference between room and CPU temps is more useful as an indicator.

I would reset to stock to check temps to get an idea of what is really going on. It could be that the current heatsink is not seated correctly. 60+ seems very high. I would get a better cooling situation before trying to OC.

yeah thats very high for that overclock, I'd try reseating the heatsink to see if it helps but if your airflow isn't good in the case that will make a big difference too

Its like going autumn so its cooling down. With the side panel off and at stock, the cpu is 33 idle. I guess I ahve to wait till i get that heatsink. Will it even work without me first getting a case with a good airflow?

I tend to lean towards cases with at least 2 120mm fans in them, one in one out, adding a blowhole in the sidepanel and top help also, you could always mod your current case and just add some fans too. I run a lian li pc75b now but thats with watercooling and just 3 fans on the radiator, prior to that I had an antec p160 that worked pretty good. The cases that take 120 fans tend to be quieter and push more airflow

Im looking at the Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS. Would that case be good enough for airflow? I would prefer the one with the 25cm fan on the sidepanle but I ahve yet to find anywhere advertising it.

~ high temp

Yes, that is a high temperature.

You should reseat your heatsink fan, maybe throw some artic silver on there, or something. That is very bad. you could try a Big Typhoon hsf, its a monster but it works.

real1st

Take a look at the RAIDMAX GLACIER RC-002 Cooler...It can take 2 120mm fans on the heat sink...each pushing over 80 cfm a piece...Stock set-up keeps the cpu a cool 28c at idle and it overextends to the Dimm slots kepping them nice as well. And on this A8N32-SLI DELUXE it also cools the heatsink for the NB and SB...It's the passive cooler to have for 50 dollars with any 120mm fan ATX case...For the extra 14.00 dollars(1 more fan), the preformance is 2-8C cooler

Back