• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Computer Startup, Registry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

komm

For the longest time, my computer has been quite slow at starting up compared to the other computers I have around the house. It takes roughly 2 minutes, which is a lot considering i'm pretty much running a barebones services.msc, and 1 or 2 third party tasks starting up. Any idea what could be wrong?

Does anyone know of a heavy registry cleaner? i have reg mechanic, but from what i've seen there's still a lot of unused folders and values in there that have not been cleaned. I'm also looking for a program to fully clean deleted files that have not yet been overwritten.

Download CCleaner, theres another program that will clean up your registry too. I believe that its called Tune Up System Maintance.

Only way to really speed up startup times is to reformat IMHO, those programs are just delaying the inevitable :p

Tune Up Utilities 2006 has a reg cleaner and defragmenter. It is available in a fully functional 30 day free trial version. I use it and it has never made a problem as some registry cleaners tend to do.

bchur83 said:
Also, check your System Event Log and see if you have any services that are failing to start. This can cause huge delays in the the Startup.

Ah good tip i'm gonna try that when i get home :santa2:

Ok, checked the system event log and it has tons of dcom errors on startup, googled around a little bit, and can't find anything on how to fix it. I also downloaded bootvis, but when windows finally loads I manually have to click on my username to log in to the computer. I don't have a password, and was able to bypass this before I formatted my computer. How do I avoid it, and how would I fix a DCOM error of:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

EDIT: Found the solution, but this isnt fixing the slow boot problem.

I tried tunexp, and this time recorded how many bars it passes. 27. That was after I did the enable ultra fast booting option. I can't get bootvis to work still, although I fixed the login clicking problem. Bootvis will show nothing when I load the boot records. Nothing just shows up in the charts. I tried tweaking it anyway, to no effect. I'm beginning to think I have some conflict or something...

EDIT: Read something about applying a static IP to my computer (adsl). Applied one, did nothing at all.

EDITEDIT: Disabled Network card and rebooted. Still 27 bar passes.

Last edited:
Ok, nevermind, they were question marks. Anyone have any idea what to do next? I've googled and searched through at least 50 pages of material, i cant find anything...

Back