• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Series mobo problemss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

I had a watercooling system in my computer and was taking it out to put in a fan bc the resevior was leaking...anyways, My cpu fan switch was disabled, bc I did not have a fan on there and it would beep and stuff bc there was no fan there when i had the watercooling. Anyways, I turned it on, forgetting that it was disabled and seeing that the fan was not moving I quickly flipped the power supply off. I smelled some burning or something i think, but i am not sure and now it turns on and everything powers up, the fans and drives, but I do not get anything on the screen. There is a red light on bottom of the motherboard that is on the whole time, I do not know what this light is....It might suppose to be on all the time, but I am not sure....I really just need to know if my cpu is fried or my motherboard...I tried 2 video cards in it, so i am pretty sure that is not the problem...please give me some ideas, I took the cpu out and it looked fine, when a cpu is fried is there visible damage? thankyou very much for any help

Well, if you had this water-cooled, I would imagine a fan not being on wouldnt cause the CPU to fry--I would imagine even without a fan to cool the rad that the CPU would be safe.Sometimes you cant see visible damage n a CPU--especially if the damage was caused by a quick surge.Do you have the 4 LED lights that emit various codes based on the LED color and combination? If so, from left to right, what color is each LED light?Also, from where the leak was coming from, what components are most likely to have been dampened? Do you have a pic of the setup before the leak was discovered? Have a pic of the top of the CPU and your mobo after the problem was discovered?

The red led means that there is power to the board it will stay on all the time as long as a power supply is connected. The green led beside it is a power led that lights up when the system is active. I doubt the CPU gor fried because the fan was dead. Did you have a cpu shutdown temp in the bios to shut down the system if the chip got to hot? Also a bit more information about what you were running your system at durring the time of the failure would help. If it was overclocked, what the core volatge was, cpu speed, fsb etc. This might help us narrow down the possible problem. Try resetting the CMOS and see if that helps, it may be that your system is just too instable to post if the core temp got higher. Do you have another board to test the chip in? Also list any beep codes you get when you power on. Try removing your ram etc. Also give your power supply a test, that may be the problem, I have supplies that will power a HDD or CD-ROM but they wont post a mobo because they have problems with the 3.3v rail or something. I dunno I was too lazy to test em they were cheap crap any way.

Sorry if i was unclear above, but I had watercooling and switched out to a heatsink, so at the time that i am writing about above I did not have water cooling installed and the cpu was not overclocked and no i do not have another board to try it on...

matt2364 said:
Sorry if i was unclear above, but I had watercooling and switched out to a heatsink, so at the time that i am writing about above I did not have water cooling installed and the cpu was not overclocked and no i do not have another board to try it on...
Perhaps you need to re-seat the heatsink..it might not be making good contact.Also, one time one of my metal risers made contact with one of the trace lines on my mobo, and would not power up until I made sure the riser didnt make contact with the trace line anymore---once I re-sat the mobo it worked fine.I wouldnt expect you to fry the CPU unless you let it the power stay on for a while....I believe my mobo let out a loud beeping sound when the CPU got too hot, so you would know if something was wrong(but I dont know if the shutdown temp control was enabled).

hey heat do you think you could explain the riser and stuff that you are talking about, I am not sure what those are...thansk

Back