• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

Setup is in my sig. The saga started this afternoon; i was downloading some torrents for the past few days. I noticed today my computer was a little glitchy and unresponsive at times. The computer froze a couple of times and i had to manually power it down and restart the system, well after a few restarts i couldn't get past the windows xp logo screen. Then after all restarts i got to the screen where it says that windows has shut down improperly and asked if i want to start in safe mode or start windows normally. No matter what i choose from this point on the computer will freeze as soon as i hit a key, and i have to power down manually.

I have disconnected all accessories and have tried a few different hard drives but i get the same results. I have gotten into windows a few times and one thing i have noticed, the mouse will lag all over the screen for a couple of minutes then it will just freeze and i'm screwed! If anyone can help me out i would appreciate it immensely! Just for clarification, my cpu temps are @ 22c and i have disabled all startup programs and killed antivirus software, i'm really thinking this is the motherboard or the cpu. Thanks in advance for any help.

Well don't limit the problem factors to only possibly being the cpu or mobo. Could be memory or PSU related. Well, the best thing to do now is to swap out with spares to isolate the problem.

Tserrof said:
Well don't limit the problem factors to only possibly being the cpu or mobo. Could be memory or PSU related. Well, the best thing to do now is to swap out with spares to isolate the problem.

Sorry, i forgot to mention i swapped out the memory and video card. I just put my daughters cpu in this setup and it seems to be running fine now! Damn, i think it's my cpu!!!! I'm writing this on my computer now and all seems well. I'm going to fire up BF2 now and see if this crashes.

UPDATE: Damn it's my 661 thats junk!! Thats strange, i only gave this 1.45V on water for a short amount of time and its toast! I'm definitely getting my 930 now but i can't sell this cedar Mill now! Oh well, at least i nailed the problem.

proth said:
wait a minute.. are you sure... 1.45 is nothing that would kill a CM.
I know, but i put my daughter's 530 in and i have absolutely no trouble, i put my POS 661 back in and i can't boot to windows! I originally thought it was my P5WD2-P but after some testing i found it to be my $430. CPU!!!!!

Nasgul said:
Have you tried the 661 in the motherboard where the 530 came from to verify that it is in fact the 661 faulty?

I'll give that a try now but i think i have to flash the bios first to support this Cedar Mill.

It still dosn't make sense to me, how it would just 'die'. I was thinking I could test it on my setup, not sure if it's worth the shipping $. In case it's really dead :(.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
It still dosn't make sense to me, how it would just 'die'. I was thinking I could test it on my setup, not sure if it's worth the shipping $. In case it's really dead :(.

It's not like it completely died but it's pretty much unuseable, just started glitching on me the past couple of days. I tried again this morning but i was only able to boot into windows once and it froze after 2 minutes. I'm going to put it in my daughter's computer in about an hour or so, but i think i'm going to have the same results. :cry:

EDIT: Well, i just tried it in my daughter's computer and i get past the post then it just hangs on a black screen. I never ran this chip past 1.45V and it's been on water most of it's life, a short 4 month life span at that! When i ran this on air it was on an XP 120 with a screaming Delta fan so this chip has never ran all that hot. I have noticed the past couple of months i couldn't run it @4.8GHz, even 4.7GHz was giving me issues, so i clocked it back down to 4.6GHz and have been running there @ about 21°c Idle and 50°c load temps. I never ran it 24/7 either, it would stay on over the weekends but thats it. Well, live and learn i guess. Off to the egg to buy my 930.

Last edited:
Back