• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Totally GUI programming language

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
you read it right. I am looking for something that let's me write simple programs totally visually. no messing with code.

Is there such a thing?

There is no such thing for generic programming afaik. Only for niches like the data acquisition of LabView

Wow. GUI? The closest thing I can thing of would be vb.net. You build the UI first, then add basic code to make each widget work.

I would love a full GUI programing code, like a WYSIWYG C++ builder. It would be great to do a app. like building a webpage with a wysiwyg editor.

Eeeeeewwwwww. That's really all i can say.

I don't think there's anything like it at ALL.

There are things, like VB, that are designed to make it easier to builda GUI.

And I can assure you, it's not outside your capabilities THF. You're just gong to need to work for it :)

Elif Tymes said:
Eeeeeewwwwww. That's really all i can say.

I don't think there's anything like it at ALL.

There are things, like VB, that are designed to make it easier to builda GUI.

And I can assure you, it's not outside your capabilities THF. You're just gong to need to work for it :)

No.. VB is pretty much beyond my capabilities.

I learned HTML by a WYSIWYG editor.... i made the page, then read the code, and learned from there. That's what I want in a program editor. I'd like to just have a blank slate, some basic forms/functions, be able to WYSIWYG my way through it, and then go back, look at the code, and learn from there.

The Record Macro function of Excel does just that - you hit the record button, and every move you make is recorded by the recorder. However, the recorder spits out so much crap that you won't necessarily understand what's going on. (That, and I don't know how useful VBA will be for you.)

I wish I could point you to a good online VB.net tutorial. Here's what a quick search turned up:

http://visualbasic.about.com/od/vbnetbeginnerbooks/l/blgtvbbegina.htm

I've personally seen the Deitel & Deitel book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...5315/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9717641-5432649?ie=UTF8) which is probably a good place to start. I suggest you swing by the library and get it. :) I'm not endorsing VB, just a language that closely matches your request.

TollhouseFrank said:
you read it right. I am looking for something that let's me write simple programs totally visually. no messing with code.

Is there such a thing?

You may be looking for Glade or wxWidgets, both of which are good. I am personally a fan of Glade for Linux, and it is great for C/C++, however, extensions are available for a dozen of languages for both Glade and wxWidgets.

Neither glade nor wxwidgets will write code for you. There are "GUI editors" which allow you to create the GUI itself like painting it. But the code behind the GUI which actually does the work has to be 100% handwritten.

Back