• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my Asus is a doa...what do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aligoonbaba

Registered
I've read some stickies, checked each card, ram ect...and still no beeps and a blank screen. I removed the mobo from the case and put it on non conductive platform to eliminate the short possibility. after doing this i still had no luck. is there anything else i can do to check this? the board is an asus m2n32 deluxe wireless ed. i think it may have been damaged during shipping. thanks for any thoughts guys.

When you first get a board and such the best thing to do is bench it right off the bat on a table or whatever to make sure it works before hand. You could have damaged it in several ways perhaps but Id suggest checking the PSU.. When I obtained a old Pentium 2 dual system my old 150 WATT PSU wouldnt even kick ont he fans.. I had to up it to 300 to get it to work correctly.

Yup, its a possiblity...

Is the computer not turning on at all?...if so I would also check the power supply..

Good luck!

edit - ^ He beat me to it....

I THINK the psu is fine...Case fans kick on hdd kicks on, optical kicks on, adn the green mobo light is on. It's just not booting up. I have built several computers, so I'm pretty good about watching for static, and mounting with spacers and such. So if everything kicks on can we eliminate the psu? or could it still be a possibility?

thanks.

It's still a possibility. I'd check into replacing the PSU with something else to test. Or trying the PSU on another system.

my friend had a similar problem

mobo led came on and ethernet light came on, but still no power to boot up.

replaced the psu and system worked fine.

i guess some of the power rails could be dead and some others not

I have a volt meter so i'm going to test each rail and see if it's getting power. this is really starting to stump me. I have never had good luck with asus mobo. I got two bad RMAs from them once, and yes I had it tested by several people who came to the same conclusion. but i really love the boards. I will keep you guys up to date and let you know. also, even if the psu was bad, shouldnt i be getting some kind of error beep? I"m getting nothing though.

Ok I got my volt meter and checked the plugs. I had problems finding a ground location but a screw inside the case seemed to work, as it was the only one i got a reading from. the readings i did get were on the 24(?) pin connecter on only two wires. one gave me 5 volts, the other like 2. i didn't get anything from the 4 pin. if these readings are accurate then the psu seems to be bad, but it might be from a bad ground. what do you think? know of any good place to ground on a case? thanks guys.

Check the mounting screws

If the PSU checks out OK,check the mobo mounting srews. For some reason Asus boards seem to short-out very easily when the mounting screws are tightened. Try loosening the screws a bit and re-trying to boot. This has happened on two different Asus boards that my brother had.

Well it turned out it was the ram, i got the computer booted installed windows and everything only with the ram in single channel sonfiguration. One stick or two it didn't matter, the cmputer won't even post with the ram in dual channel configuration. with it running in single channel cpuz says it's pc 5300 at 333mhz, it's actually pc6400 suppose to run at 800mhz. any thoughts on this? bad ram slots? bios problem?

thansk for the help.

Back